Black marks on glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harman newbie

Nov 18, 2014
Ri
new harman user here and was wondering if the black soot marks lining up with the vent holes on glass are normal. Is there anything that I should be doing to avoid this. Thanks for all the help.

The soldiers marching across your glass are, I think, unavoidable. I have minimized the rate of their development by doing two things. First I clean the glass with ceramic stove top cleaner which seems to fill micropores in the glass, just like it claims, and slows down accumulation of ash. This year I started using good bristled pipe cleaners - from a smoke shop, not a craft shop - to ream out the vents. That has helped more than I expected.

Of course a lot has to do with how the stove is maintained, how clean it is to begin with, and the pellets being burned. The dirtier the stove and/or pellets, the faster the little men appear and grow.

Welcome to the forum. As they say around here . . . enjoy the heat.

I haven't ever gotten black marks on the glass, either running it in room temp or stove temp mode, and running middling pellets (Curan). I let the stove burn for 10-14 days before cleaning the glass and all I get is some tan and white soot - and it is uniformish along the top, not in the pattern of the vent holes. So, your description sounds like something is off to me. Maybe someone else can chime in with something for you to check.

I am pretty sure these marks are normal and legendary. Not really black I suppose, except in silhouette when the stove is lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.