Black Oak, Dogwood drying time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
Lots of meat there!
As I've learned here (I was too thick to learn it in my previous 25 years of burning wood,) I need AGED beef! :lol:
I'd say to myself "What the heck, this Red Oak has been drying all summer and it still won't burn!" :-S
But I'm hopeful that some of the smaller limbs will be good by the end of the year; There was hardly any moisture on the end of the fresh-cut logs. Not like some of the Red I've cut that was practically dripping wet! As I mentioned earlier, some of the 4" diameter limbs are at 18* MC...

Thistle said:
Faster growth when young (before the heart turns darker) then slows down with age?
Thistle, the Sherlock Holmes of wood! :cheese: Makes sense.

Woody Stover said:
smokinjay said:
Lots of meat there!
As I've learned here (I was too thick to learn it in my previous 25 years of burning wood,) I need AGED beef! :lol:
I'd say to myself "What the heck, this Red Oak has been drying all summer and it still won't burn!" :-S
But I'm hopeful that some of the smaller limbs will be good by the end of the year; There was hardly any moisture on the end of the fresh-cut logs. Not like some of the Red I've cut that was practically dripping wet! As I mentioned earlier, some of the 4" diameter limbs are at 18* MC...

I running a furnace, so if its dead oak I will burn it same year. If not 18-24 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.