black oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
Never heard of it and don't see it on the chimney sweep online...what is it... any pics would be helpful and how is it btu wise
Thanks

It is in the Red Oak family and very similar as far as btu burning and such. Black, Red and Scarlet Oak are all very much alike.

That's what we have around here, and white oak. When I was a kid, all the old-timers called it red oak. I had never heard of black oak. Nowadays they say it's all black oak. Same trees as when I was a kid, different name.

Some wood dealer just told me that our red oak is really black oak. He said true red oak has a reddish colored cambium layer. Don't know if it's true. Fact is, I'm beginning to question everything I thought I knew about wood species. Seems there is so much variation and hybridization going on that it's not as clear as we would like it to be. Bottom line - if it's real dense when it's dry, I like to burn it. ;-)

Northern Red Oak-Quercus rubra Linnaeus-Eastern Red Oak-Gray Oak

Black Oak-Quercus velutina Lamark-Smooth Bark Oak,Quercitron, Yellow Oak, Yellowbark Oak

Member of Red Oak family so BTU's are similar to RO

I have both Red and Black Oaks growing in my yard, and both are common in forests here. They are very similar, but I think I can most of the time tell the trees apart just by the bark and the overall form of the tree. Red Oak has glossy ridges in the bark, Black has blockier bark. To be certain I have to look at details. The one sure way to tell them apart is to look at the mature buds in winter - Black Oak has hairy buds, Red oak has hairless buds. Black oak usually has thick, glossy leaves, while Red Oak usually has thinner, non-glossy leaves. The leaves are a bit tricky, I think.

Around here Black Oak is more common, but in parts of PA I think Red Oak is more common. Both are widespread in PA. I think the wood seems almost identical.

As everyone has said, black oak is member of the red oak family. Bark is very different, black oak is as it sounds, black rough bark. Red Oak, is much smoother, more silvery bark (almost the same shade as maple).

bottom line is that if you don't know the difference to look at it, you also will not notice a difference burning it so its really all irrelevant. Just cut it, give it some time to dry and enjoy the heat.

hilllbillys call radial tires "black oak"

Status
Not open for further replies.