Black soot..... RIP little bird

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mudeprived

Burning Hunk
Oct 9, 2016
SW PA
Rest in Peace little birdy. :(

We've had warm weather lately and I haven't used the stove in about a week. I finally fired it up this past Wednesday when the temps dropped to the high 20's. I ran it nonstop for two days and finally shut it down before going to work today. After work I decided to clean it and noticed black soot all over the inside of the burn box and the window was white. This never happened with the pellets I'm burning but I figured maybe I got a bad bag. While vacuuming out the ashes I noticed something large was stuck to the end of the vacuum extension. I shut it off and realized it was a head of a bird. I shined some light into the bottom of the burn box and found the body of the bird just laying there. I think the bird made it's way in there during the week of not using it and either died from starvation or was cooked when I fired it up. It was pretty dried out.

I feel really bad about it and all that but wondering if the bird was the cause of the black soot or should I be looking at something else? The stove burned fine and no signs of smoke or anything odd.

Castle Serenity Pellet Stove
Appalachian Pellets

I gotta put a screen on that vent asap before it claims another cute innocent victim. :(

I had one bird come down my chimney in 40 years, he made it all the way down to the clean out tee.
Wasn't running the stove at the time so opened the cover for tee and he dropped into a bag and let him free.
He knocked down a lot of creosote going down by flapping his wings but I don't recommend this
method to clean your chimney.

Reactions: Harmanizer
Don't you people have termination caps with screens ?

Reactions: Harmanizer