Black syrup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sclarke

Oct 21, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I just started burning wood and I have an old regular buck stove insert into a masonry chimney. I was up on the roof looking around and noticed a black syrup/sap substance on the top of the chimney, coating the spark arrestor. it has completely lined everything. it is like sap in its consistency and black. any ideas what that could be?

sclarke said:
I just started burning wood and I have an old regular buck stove insert into a masonry chimney. I was up on the roof looking around and noticed a black syrup/sap substance on the top of the chimney, coating the spark arrestor. it has completely lined everything. it is like sap in its consistency and black. any ideas what that could be?
Creosote and I would not be burning any more wood until you get that problem fixed.

+1 That chimney needs to be cleaned asap and before any more burning takes place.

It would also be good to figure out why the creosote accumulation. This could be due to burning too cooling (smoldering fires) or poorly seasoned wood. And often it is a combo of these two that leads to the worst cases of creosote deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.