Black Walnut score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Richards

May 21, 2013
Southwest Minnesota
I know its not the best firewood but it was free and already felled. About 1 cord(1/3rd not stacked in picture yet). Sure is a nice looking wood and its supposed to split easily. IMG_20140115_170839_782.jpg

That heartwood really is too pretty to burn, but... Given good conditions, it'll season quicker than you think.

Pretty easy stuff to work up. Burns in the middle of the group, but you will probably find that it creates more ash than most woods (at least that has been my experience.).

Walnut practically splits itself at the sight of my x27. Usually one or two full swings will crack the round and then I can finish it off with half swings. It burns with a pretty blue flame and tends to be ashy. My boss is a wood carver and if I find a nice piece of heartwood that looks too pretty to burn I'll split it up as square as I can and give it to him.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I'm just finishing up my supply of black walnut that I got for free last summer. I got about 3 face cord. It burns nice and smells good, but it makes a lot of ash. Great free wood, but it does not last long in the fire. It can make a nice hot fire in the Clyde but nothing like Oak.

just like you, i'll be carrying ashes! I have a LOT of walnut to burn. We logged last year and I need to burn all the tops.

I know its not the best firewood but it was free and already felled. About 1 cord(1/3rd not stacked in picture yet). Sure is a nice looking wood and its supposed to split easily. View attachment 124101

Mark, that is a good find for sure. The only thing I don't like is stacking it close to the building. It can be hard on the building but the real reason is that wood needs air circulation to dry. Of course those have not yet been split so won't dry much anyway. When you do split (the sooner the better), then I'd advise stacking in a more open area so you do get good air circulation.

Reactions: etiger2007
I found a twenty year old top in the woods last fall, ready to burn. I just split some of it yesterday....just popped right apart, but wet wood might be a little tougher. Burns pretty well, lasts a while....seems a bit heavier than soft Maple splits.

Last edited:
The dark heartwood of walnut burns very nicely, but a lot of fine white powdery ash.

Mark, that is a good find for sure. The only thing I don't like is stacking it close to the building. It can be hard on the building but the real reason is that wood needs air circulation to dry. Of course those have not yet been split so won't dry much anyway. When you do split (the sooner the better), then I'd advise stacking in a more open area so you do get good air circulation.
yep, this is just temp spot cause snowdrift preventing me from getting to my usual stacking spot. Will split and stack it when blizzard winds cease!!

Walnut practically splits itself at the sight of my x27. Usually one or two full swings will crack the round and then I can finish it off with half swings. It burns with a pretty blue flame and tends to be ashy. My boss is a wood carver and if I find a nice piece of heartwood that looks too pretty to burn I'll split it up as square as I can and give it to him.
Boy your not kidding about this stuff. I hit a 10" round with my axe and it split on impact without a full swing even. I'm going to like splitting this! I helped a neighbor with some american elm a few weeks ago and this wood is a polar opposite to that.

Black Walnut is pretty easy to split if you get a straight section, but the ones I have cut were all from wood edges, roadsides, etc. so they had lots of Ys, crotches, and knots. It burns great.

I've burned a lot of it since I had some taken for the trunks. I like it , burns hot but not that long . Good wood for sure especially when free. Cut you some big boy splits for longer burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.