Blacksmithing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on taking a one night intro course at this place: http://www.prospecthillforge.com/

It's only $60. I figure that I have a skill at making stuff hot, I should see what else I can do with that.

I recall that when I posted pics of a blacksmith shop in NC there was a lot of interest. Anyone here actually dabble in smithing?

Battenkill does and I pretend to do it. Good on you for taking the course! I'd love to do that someday.

Really, I generally collect the associated tools and maybe get something hot every once in a while. Time is the big killer for me. I don't have any.

Matt

I am a fulltime blacksmith, though since 2008 I have done a lot less forging and a lot more welding/machining. Not by choice though.

I've done some piddling stuff with a torch, reshaping some tools etc. Enough to make me think its really cool. Hope to take a one-week course someday soon.

I bet there's a small but devoted group or association in your area. Did you ever check out ABANA?

Dune--what do you say to gas forge vs coal forge?

dave11 said:
I've done some piddling stuff with a torch, reshaping some tools etc. Enough to make me think its really cool. Hope to take a one-week course someday soon.

I bet there's a small but devoted group or association in your area. Did you ever check out ABANA?

No- just done some welding around the yard/kiln, really, and some torch stuff like you mention.

dave11 said:

Dune--what do you say to gas forge vs coal forge?

Tough call.
I get all my propane for free, so I use gas 90% of the time.
My first forge was coal, I built it and still use it.
I use charcoal which I make myself with almost no effort
but the gas forge is still easier
True blacksmith coal is bituminus, you can use anthracite but it doesn't work nearly as well. Bituminus (soft) coal is difficult to find in the N.E.
Charcoal is a beautiful forge fuel, readily available almost everywhere but burns fast under an air blast and requires more time
fiddling.
One big advantage of gas is when working thin pieces, they will not melt off if you get distracted for a minute, like in a solid fuel forge.
For a beginer a solid fuel forge is simpler and easier to build and charcoal is very easy to make.

Adios Pantalones said:
dave11 said:

No- just done some welding around the yard/kiln, really, and some torch stuff like you mention.

Also check New England Blacksmiths if you catch the bug.

http://newenglandblacksmiths.org/

My friends uncle has the contents of three blacksmith shops from various papermills stored away on his property, he wont sell any of it. Unfortunately he is getting up in years and his kids dont have any interest in the stuff. As his wife has commented in the past "it will look good at the auction".

Good on ya for taking the class AP. I still have fond memories as a child of peaking into the local blacksmith shop while ole Clint Strange was heating, grinding or pounding on stuff. He was the old town blacksmith that retired many moons ago. He couldn't give it up. I still use some of the hand made chisels and punches that came out of that shop.

Every year he used to haul an anvil down to the railroad tracks (about 300 yards) and see how high he could blow it in the air with black powder on the 4th of July. Fun times I tell ya.

It was an option for 4-H when i was a kid, and still is from what i understand. We recently went on vacation and stopped by fort something on dauphin island. My kids thought the full time blacksmith they had on site was the best part of the tour....made me happy to see thm think it was interesting.

I've thought of dabbling in it... not because I want to do the typical blacksmith type things... I want to take old chainsaw chain and forge it into knife blanks.... If you've never seen a chainsaw chain knife you need to... they're spectacular sights to look at... and pretty good quality knife steel too.

904653.jpg

We are blessed to have an excellent blacksmith/farrier.

He does a great job on feet, and is an awesome shoer. Dixie & Matisse love him. He kept Jack sound for a long time until we retired him from riding.

He also does forging (it's a Facebook link, as I don't have any pics)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002287035627&ref=ts#!/photo.php?fbid=103708576382043&set=a.103708566382044.7685.100002287035627&type=3&theater;

CountryBoy19 said:
I've thought of dabbling in it... not because I want to do the typical blacksmith type things... I want to take old chainsaw chain and forge it into knife blanks.... If you've never seen a chainsaw chain knife you need to... they're spectacular sights to look at... and pretty good quality knife steel too.

904653.jpg

I want one! Got 2 original bowie knifes, but always looking. One is a 1950's mountain Ranger version.

You will have a blast!
I have done welding/fabricating/blacksmithing for over 20 years now. I think there is no better skill than to work with steel.
I have made most of the furniture in my home and you can park a truck on most of it. And will last forever. Have fun.

smokinjay said:
CountryBoy19 said:

904653.jpg

I want one! Got 2 original bowie knifes, but always looking. One is a 1950's mountain Ranger version.

+1 - Awesome Knife

I have done some amateur blacksmithing and now have a sugarshack that I converted into a blacksmithing shack. I posted pictures of my logging tongs a while back. Here is a sample of some of the stuff I have made. Unfortunately, I am not much of a photographer.

The tanto blades are 1050 and the knife blade is O1.

Attachments

• 10-26-Blacksmithing 002.jpg
    10-26-Blacksmithing 002.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 10-26-Blacksmithing 001.jpg
    10-26-Blacksmithing 001.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 10-26-Blacksmithing 017.jpg
    10-26-Blacksmithing 017.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 2008-10-27 011.jpg
    2008-10-27 011.jpg