1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

[BLANK] seasons faster than [BLANK]. (Eastern hardwoods edition)

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Jon1270, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    Red oak to me takes to long to dry for me, up until I moved into this house, I could never commit to 2+ year drying times. I will probably lift the red oak prohibition this cutting season. Hickory is worth a lot of $ as a veneer or saw log if the tree is big enough.

I don't have an unlimited amount of locust, but I know I've got about 20 cords worth of it in just one stand that is dying/dead and needs to come down... and it's not the only stand of them.
    Dune likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    That's awesome.
  3. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    Most of the wood I burn could be beautiful furniture, floors, etc, except that I am burning trees that were far from the quality needed for lumber, veneer, or any other use besides firewood. If you live in Black Walnut territory they are everywhere and most aren't destined to become a desk.

If seasoning time is a factor I'd consider pine. Pine seasons in one year and is generally cheaper than hardwoods. I agree that sodt maple is a good choice amomg hardwoods.
  4. Bret Chase

Loc:
    Maine
    The 3 walnut trees I have aren't black walnuts... I don't know the specific species, but they look like my shagbark trees, but without the "shag" and a similar but different leaf shape. The nuts they produce are also quite small...
  5. Bret Chase

Loc:
    Maine
    seasoning time was only a factor when I was renting.... I inherited/bought (long complicated story) my grandfather's house a year and a half ago... It's "the family homestead"... It took me the year and a half to get to the point where I could put in a new chimney and get away from K1 fired monitors (crushingly expensive in this old house). I will live in this house until I die...

I can cut it and stack it and let it season now :D