Blaze King Ashford Door Gasket/Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish there was a more temporary fix for testing the cat probe hole; if I ever want to take the top of the stove off off, that thermometer has to be able to slide out. I've seen pictures of other blaze kings that had a hole to clear the cat thermometer (older models?)

That is a temporary fix. Just leave the top off for a week.

I can't put the cat probe back in without the top being on. There's nothing that will keep it from going in too deep. I read someone you could call Condor and see if they approve of that...? I guess I could just try to put cement in, top on, then put probe in and hope it's sealed cause I won't be able to see it.

A small dab around the probe hole is going to seal it better than nothing there. If that makes a notable difference I would switch to double-wall pipe to enhance draft. Heck, I'd do that anyway. I'm a strong proponent of double-wall connector pipe.

Yea, that's my next recourse. However, my dad said to snug up the door handle a bit. It was very, very easy to undo (like with one finger) the door so we're thinking maybe the gasket isn't coming tight in contact with the door (even though a deep groove in the asker is visible in previous picture posted). So tonight we snugged that up and I just lit a fire. I don't smell it at all and I only recently fired up the cat. We'll see what time brings. I'll repost.

Last edited:
Burning dust? Stoves smell when they're running. Lot's of junk is always floating around in the air that stinks when it gets hot.

I don't think the gasket was the problem as I'm still smelling a little bit of smoke and fumes from the front corner. Gonna have to keep a ceiling fan on and a candle lit and live with it. My old VC had the exact same smell just coming from a different spot.

I don't think it's just dust or a faint paint/stove smell. Cat stoves just stink. That downdraft design just lends itself to emitting a smoke smell somehow. I'll consider double wall pipe, but in the mean time, I'll just enjoy my warm albeit stinky, home. :)

Ps BEGREEN- Top is off and I get nothing from cat hole. Gonna leave that alone for now

Cat stoves just stink. That downdraft design just lends itself to emitting a smoke smell somehow
Is this a problem with all BK cat stoves? Honestly, I haven't heard that many people with your model stove complaining about a smoke smell. If I were you I would keep looking for the problem. Hopefully with the help of other owners on this forum you will get this problem figured out.

Is this a problem with all BK cat stoves? Honestly, I haven't heard that many people with your model stove complaining about a smoke smell. If I were you I would keep looking for the problem. Hopefully with the help of other owners on this forum you will get this problem figured out.
I have noticed this smell too. It's very faint and only happens at times. Not always. It's hardly noticeable at all, I also noticed this smell with the Leyden, which is a downdrafter. I just expect some odor when burning wood, you have to be standing over the stove to notice it. It doesn't smell up the house or anything. I have a very sensitive nose, but I'm not allergic.

In fact, I've noticed this smell with almost every cat or downdraft stove I've been around. I think you are chasing a normal, unavoidable problem that doesn't bother most people.

Yea I know. I was afraid of all that. I just need to suck it up and enjoy being warm for free!

I think I've got it a little worse than others: mine actually can be smelled most anywhere in our little house, especially when draft is lower. Obviously, increasing draft is an option but I don't want the added heat.

In fact, I've noticed this smell with almost every cat or downdraft stove I've been around. I think you are chasing a normal, unavoidable problem that doesn't bother most people.

Webby
Can you describe that smell.
With my old (neverburn) VC encore 1450 I would very often smell this faint sweet smell, once the stove was in the bypass mode.
With the encore 0028 I have not experienced it in four years. Just recently however I got a wiff of the same sweet smell....strange

Webby
Can you describe that smell.
With my old (neverburn) VC encore 1450 I would very often smell this faint sweet smell, once the stove was in the bypass mode.
With the encore 0028 I have not experienced it in four years. Just recently however I got a wiff of the same sweet smell....strange
That's the smell! It's entirely related to draft, or in a some cases, a down drafter that's starting to have problems. Which I'm sure you are aware of.
I have short chimneys, I known this is the reason that I can smell this "odor" on occasion. Cat stoves Demand good draft! Increasing chimney height, using double wall connector pipe or fixing negative pressure issues is a must.

That's the smell! It's entirely related to draft, or in a some cases, a down drafter that's starting to have problems. Which I'm sure you are aware of.
I have short chimneys, I known this is the reason that I can smell this "odor" on occasion. Cat stoves Demand good draft! Increasing chimney height, using double wall connector pipe or fixing negative pressure issues is a must.
Webby, my Progress Hybrid came from the first production batch that was sold. It to had a smoke odor problem. I contacted Woodstock and they told me approx. 10% of the first production models had the issue and they were working on a fix. They also told me that it was a design issue exasperated by poor draft or negative house pressure in 10% of the homes. In my case it was negative house pressure. About 3 months after I notified Woodstock they sent me a newly designed loading door gasket system and a modification to the door hinge system, plus a video on how to make the modifications. For owners who lived closer to Woodstock, they came to your house and rebuilt your stove. However, I lived too far away, and was handy enough to make the repairs myself. (I posted all this on a thread regarding Woodstock Progress Smoke Issue on Hearth.com). Anyway, it turns out the main problem was a small channel on the loading door for the hinges were causing a siphon which was drawing out some smoke smell. Fortunately, the modifications totally fixed my smoke problem. I still had a slight negative pressure issue which was solved by installing an OAK system. However, it was the hinge modification and new door gasket system that did the trick. Today I do not have a smoke smell problem. The only time I ever smell smoke is if I turn the air input totally off and the stove back puffs. Then if I just open it a tiny crack, the back puffing stops. Believe me I know how frustrating this can be if you are sensitive to smoke. For a while I thought I was going to have to trade my Progress in for a Fireview or a refund if there was no fix. But the fix did come and I am now very happy. If enough people have this smoke smell issue, you should bring it to BK's attention and maybe they can come up with a solution. It's worth a try.

Last edited:
Webby, my Progress Hybrid came from the first production batch that was sold. It to had a smoke odor problem. I contacted Woodstock and they told me approx. 10% of the first production models had the issue and they were working on a fix. They also told me that it was a design issue exasperated by poor draft or negative house pressure in 10% of the homes. In my case it was negative house pressure. About 3 months after I notified Woodstock they sent me a newly designed loading door gasket system and a modification to the door hinge system, plus a video on how to make the modifications. For owners who lived closer to Woodstock, they came to your house and rebuilt your stove. However, I lived too far away, and was handy enough to make the repairs myself. (I posted all this on a thread regarding Woodstock Progress Smoke Issue on Hearth.com). Anyway, it turns out the main problem was a small channel on the loading door for the hinges were causing a siphon which was drawing out some smoke smell. Fortunately, the modifications totally fixed my smoke problem. I still had a slight negative pressure issue which was solved by installing an OAK system. However, it was the hinge modification and new door gasket system that did the trick. Today I do not have a smoke smell problem. The only time I ever smell smoke is if I turn the air input totally off and the stove back puffs. Then if I just open it a tiny crack, the back puffing stops. Believe me I know how frustrating this can be if you are sensitive to smoke. For a while I thought I was going to have to trade my Progress in for a Fireview or a refund if there was no fix. But the fix did come and I am now very happy. If enough people have this smoke smell issue, you should bring it to BK's attention and maybe they can come up with a solution. It's worth a try.
That's awesome that they took care of the issue! What a great company! Blaze King is also a fabulous company and is very helpful. If there were to be an issue, they will make it right.
In this instance, I really don't feel there is any problem with the stove though.

Who really knows if a fix to the stove would change anything. Sure, there could be something that could be tweaked to eliminate the problem, but I don't know that most people complain about this issue, especially on a stove that is otherwise very well liked. Yet, I've heard a lot of people talking about a sweet smell with cat engaged on this forum, even at times with desirable drafts.

I contacted Blaze King and without those desirable draft conditions, they're not able to proceed further. If this is important enough to me, I just need to ditch my single wall and replace with double. It's just hard to do when your single is perfectly painted, hooked up and working fine.

That's awesome that they took care of the issue! What a great company! Blaze King is also a fabulous company and is very helpful. If there were to be an issue, they will make it right.
In this instance, I really don't feel there is any problem with the stove though.
My point is that in order for good manufacturers like Woodstock and BK to make things right, they have to know about the problem in the first place. And customer constructive feedback is an important part of the process. If I and the other 10% of Progress Hybrid owners had not told Woodstock about our smoke smell problem, we would still have it. In the BK case it may well not be a stove problem....but I would still let BK know about the issue. If they see a large enough trend, it might highlight something they can pass on to the owners.

If they see a large enough trend, it might highlight something they can pass on to the owners.

Or they just fix it on the newer model numbers. My door latch mechanism is the "old" style when a new improved version is available but was not sent to old owners. Would be cool to have the option of upgrading but where do you draw the line? Pickup trucks are improved every year based on, among other things, owner feedback.

Keep an eye out for new models with a new improvements.

I get the faint sweet smell every once in awhile. Particularly if I'm burning as low as it will go for long periods. This of course means it's warm outside and my draft won't be as strong. Usually when this happens I can only smell it right next to the stove but sometimes it's in the whole stove room. I always figured that it was from excessive creosote building up inside the stove itself. It doesn't really bother me, like bkvp suggests if you crank it up regularly to burn that crap down that builds up in the box I think it helps.

My thoughts on this would be to clean the stove out, then take off the stove pipe and find a way to seal the exhaust collar then chunk 2 smoke bombs into the stove with the air and damper closed and see where you get smoke coming out of, should be fully sealed and the smoke will find cracks.

That is at least what I have done in the past to find gasket issues.

Feel like I should update. Last night my dad came over and we were going to smoke test and see if we could see anything. He thought my door wasn't sealing tight enough since I could lift the door handle with 1 finger. That's how I got the stove from the factory in November. It would pass a dollar bill test so I never thought it needed to be tighter. My father insisted on tightening the door handle latch. I fired the stove up and I think there's a notable difference in the smoke now. I really detect very little at this point and only smell the slightest little bit in the room. I'm really thinking this is where at least some of my problems were...

Status
Not open for further replies.