blaze king insert Efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been very honest posting on this great forum. I'm having second thoughts about which liner should have been installed. I would of gladly paid for a insulated liner to prevent any problems such as draft creosote or clearance. Now what would you do at this point? I'm thinking about a balloon at the damper and fill outside of liner with pourable lnsulation if the weather holds. I'm going up today to check clay tile clearance to liner.

This is what I have from the roof top chimney two square clay liners (only using one) meas 11inch inside liners with a 6inch S/S liner.The S/S non insulated liner drops down aprox 12 ft then takes a slight downward offset which opens up 2-3ft to the smoke shelf then home to Insert.There are three small screws attaching the S/S liner to the insert top.Inside the attic aprox 4ft by 6ft is 16inch masonry blocks going from inside attic to house ceiling then down to basement.Inside the house in the basement is my insert with 8ft wide(looking at the insert)by7ft this is all rock face hearth.

This is what I have from the roof top chimney two square clay liners (only using one) meas 11inch inside liners with a 6inch S/S liner.The S/S non insulated liner drops down aprox 12 ft then takes a slight downward offset which opens up 2-3ft to the smoke shelf then home to Insert.There are three small screws attaching the S/S liner to the insert top.Inside the attic aprox 4ft by 6ft is 16inch masonry blocks going from inside attic to house ceiling then down to basement.Inside the house in the basement is my insert with 8ft wide(looking at the insert)by7ft this is all rock face hearth.

IMG_3135.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3136.JPG
    IMG_3136.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 97
can you see if there is 2" of clearance in the attic?

I did go up inside attic but to much insulation in the way. I used binocular guessing wood around these masonsry blocks could be touching. Now with flue temp at let's say 400 degree on low burn would this let 400 degree get past all clay liner and block? This is a very large chimney. Do you think there would be a preformance issue?

I did go up inside attic but to much insulation in the way. I used binocular guessing wood around these masonsry blocks could be touching. Now with flue temp at let's say 400 degree on low burn would this let 400 degree get past all clay liner and block? This is a very large chimney. Do you think there would be a preformance issue?
The concern is in the event of a chimney fire not during regular operating temps. But at those regular temps enough heat is transferred through to pyrolize the wood which means it will ignite at a much lower temp in the event of a fire.

As far as performance issues go I cant say if you will have problems or not but I can tell you that an insulated liner will perform better in all cases. But no way for us to know if that difference would be enough to cause you problems.

Looks like the dealer will get paid twice for this liner install. The previous post about center location and dead air space what is your opinion? Thanks for the reply's too

Looks like the dealer will get paid twice for this liner install. The previous post about center location and dead air space what is your opinion? Thanks for the reply's too
Why would he get paid twice? Yes the central location will make the performance issues less for sure because there will be less of a temperature differential. But the central location also increases the safety concerns if you don't have proper clearances. And that air space inside the old liner does not enter into the issue when it comes to safety because there is no way to know the ss liner is not touching the old liner. Also that air space will heat up quickly and because it is free to move in that column it will transfer the heat fairly well.

And btw if you do not have proper clearances and you can prove that the installer clearly violated code so there is no way he should get paid again.

Status
Not open for further replies.