Blaze King install - Pictures Added!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heftiger

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2011
Northern CA
I'm looking into the specifics for my BKK install and have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can answer.

Hearth pad:
Where's a good place to get a hearth pad? What size do I need. As far as I can tell the BKK manual says 43x55 or 46x56 depending on the model. It seems hard to find any hearth pads that fit these specs.

Flue:
Single, double, or triple wall? What's the advantage of more walls? Is there a good place online to buy or should I get this from my dealer?

Install:
Since all I have now is an oil stove, I'm assuming my install will have to be done by licensed installer (for insurace purposes). Just looking for a sanity check.
What should I be looking for price-wise for install charges? I already have a hole in my roof, it just needs to be larger for the BKK 8" flue.

Are there any other charges I should be expecting?

You can check www.americanpanelhearth.com for some good prebab pads.

I would personally go with double wall stove/connector pipe from the stove to the ceiling support box. From there, double wall Class A stainless steel is what you'll want. It seems that the Blaze Kings have relatively low stack temps due to the cat being so efficient. This is why I recommend double wall stove/connector pipe - it will help keep the flue gases warmer.

As far as pricing, keep in mind that the connector pipe plus the Class A can sometimes be as much as the stove itself - but you do NOT want to skimp on the chimney system. It is, afterall, the engine that drives the entire system.

I highly recommend going straight up with double wall into Class A if you have the option. That big stove will reliably burn super low with dry wood and a proper chimney.

I used ventingpipe.com but have since found a couple local sources that are cheaper. There is a lot of mark up in pipe, it is worth calling around.

I wouldn't assume that you need to pay someone to do the install to keep your insurance company happy. Mine was fine with a DIY and the building inspector's sign off. Good luck with your project.

Thanks for all the replies! You guys are really helping me in getting a good estimate of costs.

Is it a good idea to put a damper in the pipe? What would be the benefit?

I'm starting to look at all of the needed pipe for my installation and I must say, I'm getting a little confused. I've read the BKK manual for installs and am now looking at the manuals for some of the stove pipe kits. I'm getting confused about what parts are going to be needed for my install. Any help with this would be appreciated. I'll post some pictures of my current setup later this evening.

I currently have an oil stove in my main living space which has vaulted (sloped) ceilings. I'm going to go from the stove to the ceiling with 8" double wall (aprox. 7 ft). Then use class A up through the rafters (aprrox. 3-4 feet), and then come out straight out the roof. This is what I'm thinking I need so far. I'll post links to each product on ventingpipe.com for illustration.

1. Pitched ceiling support kit. (I'm a little confused about this, does this just support the roof or will it cover everything from the exterior pipe all the way unitl I come through the ceiling to the inside?) http://www.ventingpipe.com/metalbes...ling-support-kit-with-18-pipe-length/p1070038

2. 8" Double Wall pipe for interior. This is just a placeholder, I'll probably need a longer pipe or 2 pipes. http://www.ventingpipe.com/metalbes...tion-kit-with-telescopic-pipe-length/p1069037

3. Roof flashing. (Again, placeholder until I calculate the pitch of my roof). http://www.ventingpipe.com/metalbes...lashing-for-6-12-to-12-12-roof-pitch/p1070049

4. Class A pipe length. (To go through the rafters and to go above roofline). http://www.ventingpipe.com/metalbest-8ut-36-ultra-temp-8-x-36-class-a-chimney-pipe-length/p1070061

5. Slip. Not sure if this is neeed. http://www.ventingpipe.com/duravent-1871-8-durablack-slip-connector-with-trim/p1792259

6. Ceiling support box. Again this confuses me. Since I have a sloped ceiling, I'm not sure what I should get here. I was thinking the following but the directions do not show an installation that goes from a sloped ceiling to rafters. http://www.ventingpipe.com/superpro...-ceiling-support-box-with-brass-trim/p1511211

7. Attic insulation shield. http://www.ventingpipe.com/superpro-jsc8ais-8-attic-insulation-shield/p1511205

8. Some locking bands. Do I need these and will they work since I'm going to be using double wall pipe? http://www.ventingpipe.com/metalbes...ed-class-a-chimney-pipe-locking-band/p1070036

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for all your help. This really is an invaluable resource.

www.dynamitebuys.com

Call and talk to Sean. He is very helpful. Just needs some measurements and a description of what you are doing. He'll work up a quote and email it to you. Their prices are pretty good, too. Pricing on the website includes shipping. The only issue I had was they sent me a flush stove adapter instead of the regular one for my BK.

BK says 14'. I was right around 12', straight up through the roof. It was working OK, no smoke spillage and such. I just added 3', and it made a big difference. I get a much more complete burn, instead of lots of little chunks of charcoal. Going longer between ash dumps. It works a lot better at low burn rates. The glass still gets pretty nasty, but it burns off much easier. The taller you can make it, the better.

I was just looking through some of your links. I paid $115ish for that 3' piece of Metalbest from amazon. Dynamitebuys was around $140, shipped. I didn't shop around too much when I bought the whole system. Dynamitebuys was recommended here, Sean seemed like he knew his stuff, and it was just easier. The pipe I got from them was also boxed very well, different than the one I just bought. Yep, it has a couple of small dents. I can see it from the back yard. I'll probably take the top section off in the spring. It looks kinda goofy from the road, sticking way up in the air.

jeff_t said:
www.dynamitebuys.com

Call and talk to Sean. He is very helpful. Just needs some measurements and a description of what you are doing. He'll work up a quote and email it to you. Their prices are pretty good, too. Pricing on the website includes shipping. The only issue I had was they sent me a flush stove adapter instead of the regular one for my BK.

Thanks for the advice!

I sent an email to them; I'm at work and cannot call at the moment. Hopefully this will be helpful!

Be careful the listed hearth pad dimensions listed in the manual, one of the members here built to those specification to find out it wasn't large enough once the stove was placed on it. The dimensions listed are minimum if I recall correctly.

Here are some pictures of my current oil stove install. Hopefully this will help explain some things:

From the top of the stove (which will be the same height as the BKK once I change hearths) to the ceiling is 7ft.
dsc0233mo.jpg

This is in the attic. 44 inches tall. Notice that there is not a ceiling box, the pipe just comes straight through. Will this have to be changed for a wood stove install?
dsc0234nc.jpg

Another picture of the pipe coming through the ceiling.
dsc0235jj.jpg

This is the pipe going out the roof.
dsc0236po.jpg

It was too dark to take a picture of the outside flue but I measured the flue at 4 feet tall where it is even with the highest point within 10 feet. Adding 3 feet to that I get a 7 foot flue outside.

Hopefully these pictures help. The most confusing part for me is what is needed to get the pipe through the ceiling and out the roof.

Thanks again for all your help!

What you will need for the flue from the ceiling up is: ceiling support box, attic insulation shield, 0/12-6/12 roof flashing, storm collar, cap and enough pipe to get the flue 2 feet above anything within 10 feet. You will want double wall class a flue. Inside you will likely need double wall connector pipe, in fact the last king I put in didn't even give specs for using single stove pipe in the manual. All this stuff will be available at your local hearth store, you will likely pay a bit more, but when you need another part or some explanation of a part, you can get it.

You will need a cathederal ceiling support, and the locking bands are for the double wall chimney. You will need one between every pipe length. Keep in mind to that hearth stores, and online I suppose, sell 4' lengths, the big box stores only sell 3' and shorter.

In the 3rd pic, is that galv pipe that was spray painted?

You need the ceiling support to carry the weight of the class A. You'll frame in a box in the attic to attach the support. Looks like the oil stove is supporting the B-vent.

Locking bands are included with Metalbest pipe.

Loco Gringo said:
In the 3rd pic, is that galv pipe that was spray painted?

Not sure what type of pipe it is but it's not spray painted. May just be the lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.