Blaze King Princess insert night setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backld

Nov 15, 2010
OHIO
What are you setting your Blaze King Princess at night? I'm on my first burn of my new stove and I'm not sure what to set it down to at night. If I turn it all the way down I hardly see any coals. Is this normal?

Thanks

It'll be hard for anyone to answer since every stove set up will burn a little different due to the wood being burned and the chimney set up among other things. I'm sure some of the users will speak up though and let you know how they burn their stove.

Congrats on the new stove. It really depends how much heat you want out of it and how soon you want the heat. I'd start in the middle of the normal range on the tstat and see how it works for you. You will find out how much heat the stove puts out, how long it will burn with however much wood you put in it and how dry your wood really is. Enjoy your new stove.

Nice stove
I can repeat the above. I learned dry wood is very,very important if you want to burn on the low settings.
I found my best burn to be around 2 to 2.25 on the stat, but then split sizes changes it some. (small I can go lower,, larger higher)
If it gets to warm in the house with full load, I've learned to put in 1/2 loads, so I can burn with the stat on 2.
If I'm home during the day & it's warm in the house, rake the coals up front, one or 2 splits lasts several hours.
I get different burns with spruce, than birch.
I just learned how important following the steps in the book are, it takes some time to get a full loads to burn properly on the lower settings.
Get it hot before closing the bypass, leave it on 3 for 15 - 30 min, close bypass, leave on 3 for 15 min +/-, step down by .5s -- 5 - 10 min each
step till you get to the low settings. You have to have a good bed of hot coals & the process helps dry the wood out as you get to the lower settings.
Weather conditions effect it too, wind cause mine to burn hotter by increasing the draft so I set lower when the wind blows.
But if you want heat, crank it to 3 & take off some clothes. We had to open some windows to cool it off with the first few fires, I just got the house too warm.
Burn for a while, read the book again & adjust for your conditions. I don't get good burns below 1.75, & I'm learning how important dry wood is.
I just read this yesterday, "the cat temp probe is 4 to 8 min behind time, it indicates what happened in the stove 8 minutes ago" (pg 39 of the "online" manual)

Try 2 for a night burn,, if the house gets too warm, try 1.75. & step down in small increments. Again the wood is 1 real important factor, got to be dry to burn on low.
Have fun learning your stove & various burns, takes a while. Enjoy the long burn times.

Low burn for my is the knob straight up and down. If it's really cold/windy out I might kick it up to just under #1 though.

At that setting, the stove will keep the house at ~75* for 12-14hrs with no trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.