Blaze King Sirocco 20 Help thread #2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this. Sorry to confuse. When you burn on high it gets hot. My house up to 80 85! Getting off topic now tho
I had been following the manual word for word as well including loading left to right, not getting wood near the cat (which is very difficult to not do with the 20), keeping it on high for as long as the manual stated which is longer than necessary (and which would burn up the wood so I couldn't achieve longer burn times). When the dealer was here checking it out he stuffed wood in the easy way - front to back and packed as much as would fit. I do that now and I just let it burn until cat is engaged, then maybe 5-10 min on high before turning down the stat. Have also found that turning it down in smaller increments for ~10 minutes at a time works better. Wood changes the burns each time, but these stoves really seem to fall into the category of fussy and finicky. What is the longest burn time you have gotten?

I do that now and I just let it burn until cat is engaged, then maybe 5-10 min on high before turning down the stat. Have also found that turning it down in smaller increments for ~10 minutes at a time works better. Wood changes the burns each time, but these stoves really seem to fall into the category of fussy and finicky.
Have to say that issue sounds like partially seasoned wood. By other reports here, with dry wood you would be able to dial it in much faster. Not that your technique is wrong. It just takes longer to boil off the moisture in the wood.

Agreed be green. I have found that if you don't get a good char on all the wood you can't load it and just run high for too little amount of time. I don't think that the embers created by the low setting are able to burn all the wood in that load leaving wood behind unburned. This is my happy cat
tyzuru7u.jpg

Reactions: laura bv
BTW with my dry wood I can turn the thermostat down on mine all the way till it stops. Like 1 full revolution past the low setting. It seems to burn just a tad lower then the low setting.

Not sure why they don't have a positive stop on the lowest setting.

Have to say that issue sounds like partially seasoned wood. By other reports here, with dry wood you would be able to dial it in much faster. Not that your technique is wrong. It just takes longer to boil off the moisture in the wood.
No, the point was I was responding to the post about following the manual by the letter It was the issue with the manual. We were followng the manual word for word. I burn on high now for half the time the manual recommends.

No, the point was I was responding to the post about following the manual by the letter It was the issue with the manual. We were followng the manual word for word. I burn on high now for half the time the manual recommends.
What does the manual recommend Laura? I don't remember what mine said. It's finicky as far as it needs dry wood but if you have dry wood most loads will run pretty much the same regardless of species.

What does the manual recommend Laura? I don't remember what mine said. It's finicky as far as it needs dry wood but if you have dry wood most loads will run pretty much the same regardless of species.
"Let the fire burn on a higher setting (on the thermostat) for 20-30 minutes, or until the fire is well established, then turn the
thermostat to the desired setting. It is good burning practice to burn the stove on high for 20-30 mins after every refueling, this
will help in cleaning off any residual build-ups and lessen the chance of accumulation."

" Operate the stove on a higher temperature setting for the half hour after reloading."

" However, since each application can vary, you may find it necessary to operate the thermostat to suit your application."

"As the combustor temperature (as indicated by the thermometer on top of the stove) passes into the active zone, further
adjustment to achieve the desired room temperature should be made in small increments for the most effective cleaner burning
operation. Changes, generally speaking, should be made as few times each day as possible. When the thermostat knob is moved
from high to low, more gases is produced, so the combustor has more fuel; consequently the combustor thermometer may register
a higher heat for several hours after the thermostat is turned down."

Reactions: Dhide371
I can't really fault the manual here. They are giving good advice for average conditions. Individual installations and the wood vary so much that the manual would have to be 2-3 times as long to cover them all. And right about page 3 most folks eyes would start glazing over.

Last edited:
Yes, I was simply responding to Dhide's post - we don't have to necessarily follow the manual to the letter, we don't need to burn on high for as long as the manual recommends.

2 cu ft stoves have their place. There are a lot of 1000-1500 sq ft homes that could be happy with this stove, particularly if the place is well sealed and insulated or in a milder climate.
Heck, even my micro-mini Keystone >> is doing pretty well without much sealing or insulation in our 1000 sq.ft . With more weatherization, a 12-hr. low burn in the 'stone will be sufficient in all but the coldest weather. I'd expect the 20 to burn at least as long.
not getting wood near the cat
I guess they're worried about flame impingement on the cat, since there doesn't appear to be a heat shield for the cat?
whoever checked on the mild temps here: NOAA typically reports at least 10 degrees higher over night temps than the weather.com site
Did you try putting in your zip code instead of a nearby city name? That might give you more accurate temps for your location.

Reactions: fox9988
I will be looking in the piping this weekend. I have just been worried about creosote build up and smoldering the fire so much. I guess I shouldn't be.

I will be looking in the piping this weekend. I have just been worried about creosote build up and smoldering the fire so much. I guess I shouldn't be.
Just bought some Rutland brushes from Amazon and fitted them with PVC, but... (no plans to get back up on the roof - the manual i memorized says check every 2 months).

Just bought some Rutland brushes from Amazon and fitted them with PVC, but... (no plans to get back up on the roof - the manual i memorized says check every 2 months).
As long as the cat is burning, there shouldn't be much gunk in the exhaust that could be deposited in the chimney. But with a new stove or different wood, it's always a good idea to keep an eye on in until you know what to expect....

Status
Not open for further replies.