Blaze King vs Hampton vs Regency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaldSpot

Oct 30, 2007
Bremerton, WA
Hi. I installed a heat pump with A/C a couple of years ago, and it can't handle the load when it gets seriously cold here. So I need to install a wood-burning insert to provide all or some of the heat, and am stuck between some hard choices:

(1) Regency Hearth Heater that sticks out enough to provide convection heat without electrical power (72% efficiency, up to 8 hours burn time). However, I do not absolutely need to have this feature because I also have kerosene heaters for when the power goes out. Regency is offering a free fan unit worth $340 if I buy before Nov 8.

(2) Hampton (Regency) cast iron enameled that looks great, quiet fan, (77% efficiency, burn time up to 8 hours) "Limited Lifetime Warranty" This costs a little more, but looks tons better than a steel plate unit, plus the advantage of cast iron not warping and whatever else its good for.

(3) Blaze King with catalytic converter, quiet fan, (81% efficiency, burn time 20+ hours, thermostat controlled.) Load it and forget it, I guess.

Each one of these stoves seems to have great selling points. However, I'm bothered about not finding Blaze King in the review section of this website. It is as though nobody buys them, so I wondering what's up with that. I did read one person's comment on another website who said it is so efficient there isn't much ash to clean out.

We have a 2700 sq ft home split equally between upstairs and finished basement. This unit would go downstairs of course. We spend most our time upstairs except, so I would like to have something I could load and forget for a few hours without having to constantly monitor the fire. I don't know if that is a reasonable expectation. I had a pellet stove for 10 years in another house and do not want to go that route again.

I've been looking all over the internet and asking around and cannot come to a decision about this. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

The Hampton has received very favorable reports here. You might also want to consider the Jotul C450 or perhaps the Quad 4100i.

However, I'm bothered about not finding Blaze King in the review section of this website. It is as though nobody buys them, so I wondering what's up with that. I did read one person's comment on another website who said it is so efficient there isn't much ash to clean out.

There are several comments on the Blaze King stoves in the review section, but rather than selecting a manufacture to view, go to the link that allows you to "view all". Scroll down to the group of "other", "other...see below", and "others". Then you have to pick out the Blaze king's by model name or number. Princess, classic, King are all used, along with some of the model numbers.

Evidently the review form is not very intuitive, or Blaze King owners struggle with filling out forms on the internet, as there is not any reviews where they belong. Wish someone would straighten that out, as it makes Blaze King look bad in the review section.

Wish I could help with your decision on stoves, but I have no experience with any of them.

One of our members here is a Blaze king Rep. Its not like Blaze king is a later arrival to the wood stove business, they have been building them since the 70's.
A a small more west cost regional company. Probably explains why We East coasters do not see their products as often to review them.

As for the burn time quotes cut then in half for real productive heat output. not counting the few remaining coals. Their efficiency claims put it about the cleanest stove burning.

As with many Cat stoves with thematically controlled secondary air supplies they are very close to set and forget operations. All cat stoves will require the cat being cleaned
usually 5 minute job that I preform on my two cat stoves at the start of the burning season and at the mid point. Eventually they will require being replaced in about 6 /7 years.
I think it is a small price to pay for cleaner controlled burning. I mean 81% Naturally as the Cat ages , that percentage will decrease. but keeping it clean will net good results for many years
The cleaning required all stove owners should preform on their stoves to keep the operating good . All should be cleaned shop vaced out to clear air passages whether they be cat stoves or non cats so really there is no extra work involved

I am limited as to talking about Regency. Web site policy disqualifies me from commenting

BaldSpot said:
Each one of these stoves seems to have great selling points. However, I'm bothered about not finding Blaze King in the review section of this website. It is as though nobody buys them, so I wondering what's up with that. I did read one person's comment on another website who said it is so efficient there isn't much ash to clean out.

There are actually quite a few evals on Blaze Kings - they are unfortunately list under "Other Mfr" or
"Select Mfr". Look for models that are listed as "KE...." or other obvious similarities.

Rob

The problem is that 'Blaze King' is an option when chosing to view the reviews, but it is not an option when you are posting a review.

Status
Not open for further replies.