Blazeking Chinook CBT has arrived

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No rear flue outlet and on 40K BTU Max? I'm not sure if this is equal, but the small stove I'm looking at outputs max 35K BTU and it is rated to heat 1200 sq ft. I'm guessing this one isn't much more than that?

I'm reading into this that a larger firebox doesn't produce much more usable heat, but rather simply longer burn times? Is that even remotely true. The one I'm looking at has only .85 cubic feet and this one has 2.75 cubic feet.

Good looking.

brianbeech said:
No rear flue outlet and on 40K BTU Max? I'm not sure if this is equal, but the small stove I'm looking at outputs max 35K BTU and it is rated to heat 1200 sq ft. I'm guessing this one isn't much more than that?

I'm reading into this that a larger firebox doesn't produce much more usable heat, but rather simply longer burn times? Is that even remotely true. The one I'm looking at has only .85 cubic feet and this one has 2.75 cubic feet.

Good looking.

That is average heat output. Not max.

To put it in perspective the average heat output they have listed for the King is 47,000 Btu’s/hr

brianbeech said:
I'm reading into this that a larger firebox doesn't produce much more usable heat, but rather simply longer burn times? Is that even remotely true.

No. Not true.

BrowningBAR said:
No. Not true.

Good, that would just further confuse me. :)

Any reason why this 'very large' firebox is only rated to heat 1200sq ft when the Morso 7642 with a miniature, by comparison, is rated for the same thing? And the Chinook has only 5K BTU more than the Morso lists? Am I falling into the advertising and marketing guys traps?

brianbeech said:
BrowningBAR said:
No. Not true.

Good, that would just further confuse me. :)

Any reason why this 'very large' firebox is only rated to heat 1200sq ft when the Morso 7642 with a miniature, by comparison, is rated for the same thing? And the Chinook has only 5K BTU more than the Morso lists? Am I falling into the advertising and marketing guys traps?

Not sure. It might have to do with the conservative numbers BK uses. We can all agree that the blaze king is a very large stove. I think the firebox size is larger than a Hearthstone Equinox. The Equinox is rated at 3,500 sq ft for heating capacity. The King is only listed as 2,000+

BK seems to do less marketing fudging with their specs and actually apply conservative numbers to the stoves' expectations.

Also, pay more attention to the firebox size than burn times and BTU ratings for most stove. To put it in perspective, 2.75 cu ft firebox is larger than the Jotul Oslo. It also weighs 5lbs more.

wow... a Blaze King stove that I can actually stand to look at! :p

brianbeech said:
And the Chinook has only 5K BTU more than the Morso lists? Am I falling into the advertising and marketing guys traps?

You are comparing max BTU output to Average BTU output. Both have some marketing spin, but BK tries to show (at least that's what they claim) real world BTU out put when the stove is in use.

Again, BK only lists the BK King as a 47k BTU stove when it has a firebox that is larger than the Equinox that has a claimed 120k BTU output.

BrowningBAR said:
brianbeech said:
And the Chinook has only 5K BTU more than the Morso lists? Am I falling into the advertising and marketing guys traps?

You are comparing max BTU output to Average BTU output. Both have some marketing spin, but BK tries to show (at least that's what they claim) real world BTU out put when the stove is in use.

Again, BK only lists the BK King as a 47k BTU stove when it has a firebox that is larger than the Equinox that has a claimed 120k BTU output.

I see what you mean. thanks.

Good news sorta. It is just a princess firebox with fancy clothes. That's great if you want a princess but don't like the looks. The princess has 2.85 CF and the Chinook has 2.75 CF, by the way both sizes are only a medium large. The rear clearance requirement to the flue is 13.65" for the chinook and 13" for the princess. The only real significant difference that I can find, and one that is suspicious, is that the chinook claims a 30 hour burn time compared to 20 hours for the princess.

Both stoves have a stat, blowers, and north south loading.

Definitely a step in the right direction. A little to contemporary looking for my tastes.

That's a pretty good looking stove for a contemporary. I like it.

Interesting that it weighs more than the King.

I don't really like the contemporary look but glad they stuck with a cat. Should have soapstone panel option.

The Princess has a minimum low burn of like 6400 BTUs. The web site says this stove's minimum low burn is 27000 BTUs. Is that a typo? Must be if they can get 30+ hour burns out of it.

Its got the Nestor Martin / Scan Anderson look but with a CAT. Its the 1st residential CAT Scan that U too can own. :lol:
Sorry :red: Had to say sumtin.

Yeah, 27,280 BTU/hr minimum has to be a typ0. That would require it to hold ~130 lbs of wood to burn for 30 hours, and you *know* 30+ hours burn time is reality, not a typ0. :) +1 on soapstone panels like the lil' Morso as a hot option. It says flat or curved panels are available. If they bolt on, you could always add your own slabs.

It would be nice if they dressed the Apex up like this. 5.7 cu ft of firebox dressed up for the dance would look great in my living room.

SolarAndWood said:
It would be nice if they dressed the Apex up like this. 5.7 cu ft of firebox dressed up for the dance would look great in my living room.

Hell, I just wished they would get the King out of its work clothes. I would be happy with that.

I'll have to say that I like the looks of the Ultra's better than this new Chinook, by photo anyways. However, it does appear that they have made this new stove a convection stove verses the King/Princess radiant with a few shields. This has proven to be a good feature in my installation, and will have to consider that if I ever get to the point of being able to purchase a new stove.

I am wondering where the extra weight is in the chinook vrs princess? Is it in the solid sides and extra shields, or in the firebox?

Not a bad looking Blaze King . . . not bad at all . . . not really the look I like . . . but definitely an improvement.

They have an optional ash pan with plug in the box. Also the blowers are paddle fans instead of squirrel cage. Are the KE/PE stoves using paddle fans?

I never really considered the KE/PE to be radiant stoves though all stoves are a combination to some extent.

The real question is how do they go from 20 hours burntime on the 2.85 CF Princess to 30 hours on the 2.75 CF catscan? Either they made some actual changes or their marketing department needs a catscan.

Status
Not open for further replies.