Bless Me Father for I have Sin.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
Solar do you have to clean your chimney more when burning seasoned pine compared to seasoned maple or cherry?

Every stove/chimney combination is a little different. I was surprised to find I get the same or even a little less total creosote with pine than maple or cherry. The problem is most of the buildup from pine forms in the #!@$!@# cap that's 35' in the air. The buildup from maple and cherry is almost all in the middle of the chimney. So its easier to clean bottom up with a brush.

firefighterjake said:
Ten minutes worth of work to make sure things are good always beats having the fire department hang out in your home at 2 in the morning for a half hour to an hour as they deal with a stubborn chimney fire and make sure the fire hasn't spread . . . at least that's how I feel.

I heard ya Jake. I ran the brush down during the season when I had a flat roof. But, after the trusses went up last year, it got a lot harder without a bucket truck. The new chimney location/access hatch will fix that.

SolarAndWood said:
firefighterjake said:
Ten minutes worth of work to make sure things are good always beats having the fire department hang out in your home at 2 in the morning for a half hour to an hour as they deal with a stubborn chimney fire and make sure the fire hasn't spread . . . at least that's how I feel.

I heard ya Jake. I ran the brush down during the season when I had a flat roof. But, after the trusses went up last year, it got a lot harder without a bucket truck. The new chimney location/access hatch will fix that.

All is forgiven then. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.