Block-off plate added. Wow! What a difference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I usually clean my own liner but due to my bad hip I couldnt do it this year so I called someone to do it for me (hate paying for it, but) so he did a good job cleaning the liner, cleaned out my stove, took the sides off the insert and checked the connection for me, added a little furnace cement at the joint since some of the original crumbled off. While he had the face plate off I stuffed some roxul in the flue and installed a block off plate. I didnt think it would matter much but I thought what the hell, I have all the materials. What a difference! its raised the temps by 3 degrees in the furthest rooms, I was sweationg in bed last night and took the covers off. I know its early in the season and it only got down to the 30's last night but its never been 73 in the bedroom before, now I need to figure out how to keep it cooler, it was to warm for sleeping.
Anyone installing an insert and contemplating a block off plate, go ahead and do it, Im surprised at the results. Anyone on MA/Ct and needs roxul, I have plenty left if you want some.

Nice to know the info on that work.
BTW how thick is the plate ?
Just a thin sheet I bought at Lowes, I actually bought it when I got the stove but never got around to installing it. I think it was under $10, I paid $40 for the roxul but have most of it leftover.

Just a thin sheet I bought at Lowes, I actually bought it when I got the stove but never got around to installing it. I think it was under $10, I paid $40 for the roxul but have most of it leftover.

Thanks, i will try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.