Block off plate . Do I really need it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have chosen to assume that no masonry chimney is safe or built properly. Many of our members here, perhaps the majority, use a regular masonry chimney for either their stoves or for some other appliance in their home.
No i am not saying they are not safe I work on many clay lined chimneys with wood stoves in them a few have proper clearance but most do not. We tell the customer that they are not up to code but if they choose to use them anyway that is up to them and we will clean them. But when i put a liner in it needs to be up to code and it is a pretty safe assumption that somewhere there is a combustible material to close to that chimney. And regardless of the code issue liners work better when they are insulated.

liners work better when they are insulated.

For sure. Just don'tgo scaring folks into thinking that all liners must be insulated, that's just not true.

For sure. Just don'tgo scaring folks into thinking that all liners must be insulated, that's just not true.
Blaze King Princess Ultra 2012
I am sorry but if you look at the ul listing they all do when installed for a wood burning appliance in order to maintain that listing. Unless like i said they were tested with the proper clearances and no insulation which i have never seen. And as far as how many don't need insulated because the chimneys have proper clearances i would say 1 or 2 out of 50 chimneys i inspect have that clearance. I see many chimneys in new construction that don't have it. The reason is that it is very difficult to build one with those clearances the whole way. So i am sorry but in my opinion every single liner should be insulated and most need to be in order to meet code. I am not trying to scare anyone i am just telling people what i have seen and learned in my years of experience and the many thousands of chimneys i have inspected and worked on. And btw i never said all liners need to be insulated by code just most.

Status
Not open for further replies.