block off plate for prefab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcdill

Oct 26, 2006
I have read numerous posts on how block off plates can aid in retaining heat, but have never read where someone used it in a prefab fireplace. I have a 1978 house with a heatilator prefab fireplace with of course a appalachian 4n1-xl stuffed in there. Would a block off plate be something for me to look at or is that a bad idea for this setup? Thanks for the help.

If you have a 6" insulated liner (which is required for prefab relines) the liner should barely fit down the old 8" pipe. That would pretty much eliminate the need for a block off plate.

I guess you could get some ceramic blanket insulation and jam it between the pipes. It'd be a pain having to cut the insulation down that low. They also make strips in various thickness which you may be able to calculate out to go between to block a little off. I would think every little bit would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.