block-off plate question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
I'm thinking of pulling out my insert and installing a block off plate. I'm currently using fiberglass batting in hopes to cut down on the secondary draft - but maybe that isn't enough.

I've looked at the article describing how to install a block-off plate. Articles like that can be discouraging because, I seldom launch into a DIY project that turns out like the articles. I know my block off plate is not going to look like the one shown in the picture - but that's fine since I won't have to look at it after the insert is put back.

My worry is that by installing the block-off plate I won't have any "play" in the flex liner to line it up with the stove. How do you put the stove in and get it to come out perfectly aligned with the 6" liner?

Measure the location of the liner before pulling the insert. Measure from known points and write these dimensions down. Could be something like 10" back from from the front lintel edge. 20" from side center brick. Mark the measuring point with chalk to be sure you measure from the same location.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/

How much room is there around the insert body in the fireplace? If generous, you also might want to consider insulating the masonry with some rigid mineral board.

Status
Not open for further replies.