Block off plate with un-insulated liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Laualie

Feb 9, 2020
Minnesota
Last year my installer insisted I didn't need an insulated liner for my insert, he also thought it might not have fit - long story short, I need to pull the insert to reconfigure a poorly connected adpater and thought I'd try putting a block off plate in while I'm there. It sounds like the ideal situation is to have an insulated liner with a block off plate, I'm wondering if there's issues with installing one with a non-insulated liner? 25' exterior brick chimney.

Conceivably the heat that I'm now losing up the chimney may be heating the liner, helping draft. Just wondering if I'll run into enough issues to keep me from putting one in.