Can insulated chimney pipe be used as a chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stiffknee

Jan 21, 2024
North Carolina
I recently purchased a Buck stove (wood insert), and I want to put a liner in my chimney (brick with clay liner, mostly inside the house). It's a straight shot up from the stove to the outside. I have access to (free) chimney pipe that I'm considering using as the liner. I know this is considerably heavier than the single-wall flexible liner I was considering buying, but the advantage of getting a smooth-walled, insulated liner seems the better route to go (and, again, free). I know I would need to install significant support at the top and bottom so no weight is sitting on the wood insert.

Are there reasons to not use chimney pipe as a liner?

The pipe MFR is Hart & Cooley, which seems to now be owned by Duravent. The pipe I have is similar to the TLC system, but older - the model number is 6DP30. I haven't found a ton of info on this model.

1705846202616.png

Thanks for your feedback!

"can" sure.
Should you? It won't be compliant with code. So you might want to ask your insurance company (whether they will approve it, i.e. pay out if shtf).

The reason it is not code compliant is that it hasn't been tested in this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcmclellan
I recently purchased a Buck stove (wood insert), and I want to put a liner in my chimney (brick with clay liner, mostly inside the house). It's a straight shot up from the stove to the outside. I have access to (free) chimney pipe that I'm considering using as the liner. I know this is considerably heavier than the single-wall flexible liner I was considering buying, but the advantage of getting a smooth-walled, insulated liner seems the better route to go (and, again, free). I know I would need to install significant support at the top and bottom so no weight is sitting on the wood insert.

Are there reasons to not use chimney pipe as a liner?

The pipe MFR is Hart & Cooley, which seems to now be owned by Duravent. The pipe I have is similar to the TLC system, but older - the model number is 6DP30. I haven't found a ton of info on this model.

View attachment 323413

Thanks for your feedback!
What Buck stove is it? Does it need 6 or 8" pipe? Regardless that chimney pipe is very old and probably well past its life expectancy I wouldn't use it. Just use an insulated midweight or heavy wall liner

Agreed. It's old. Hart and Cooley's current TLC chimney pipe was preceded by their TDP line (1982-2006). The DP line is older, prior to 1982. Not sure if it is rated at 1700 or 2100º.

Good to know, thanks! Good point that 1) it is so old, I didn't know that, and 2) my insurance may not be applicable if I use something that's not up to code. I'll go the insulated midweight route.

Anyone have favored economical source for an insulated liner? So far, I've been looking at Rockford Chimney Supply online.