Blocking/insulating flue for insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colophoto

Jan 3, 2014
denver
Hi everyone. I've just finished installing my new vermont castings Montpelier insert and was hoping for some advice. I have a 6" stainless liner all the way up. To make it fit I had to remove the existing damper and grind some extra metal away. Now there is a roughly 4"x5" gap on either side of the liner. No real problems in operation but the insert doesn't really seem to be making a significant contribution to our heat. It's cozy right in front but I wonder if I need to get back in and close things off better ( it is capped at the top). If I do need to close it off, with what/ how would you do it? Simply some 22ga stainless or galvanized held in with high temp silicone? Other?
Many thanks
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.