Blocking logs a easier way?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
Well I though I would try a new way to block up my firewood. It worked out ok but it was a little more work than I thought it would be. But I did not get my bar pinched once or get it in the dirt. Since I had to unload the trailer anyway I think it was faster and easier than trying to block them on the ground. The logs were 16 to 17 feet long.

IMG_1255.jpg

2171 jonsered in the cut!

IMG_1256.jpg

I need to get some real stake pockets on the trailer so I can put another row or two of logs on without breaking the fenders off.

IMG_1253.jpg

It was too wet to get the truck in the woods. And carting one log out at a time is inefficient. But droping the tongs over the log and lifting work great. A lot better than trying to fight a chain under the logs.

IMG_1251.jpg

It was great to get in the woods and cut! It seems like all winter I was in a hurry cutting to get wood out of the way to do the projects I was trying to get done.

IMG_1232.jpg

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
...it was a little more work than I thought it would be.
Sure doesn't look like work to me. I've got to get me one of them FELs.

No matter what equiment you have its all still work..but much better with that rig..

Looks like a neat idea to me if it works well.

Dunno... a career counselor once said to me "choose something you enjoy and you'll never have to work a day in your life". "Work" is when you're doing one thing and wishing you were doing something else.

Thanks LL

The worst part was getting set up on the log. I could not see around the hood to what I was doing. And if I ran a chain on the tongs so I could see them I could not lift the far end of the log.

Dunno… a career counselor once said to me “choose something you enjoy and you’ll never have to work a day in your life”. “Work” is when you’re doing one thing and wishing you were doing something else.

You are right LL I consider it exercise. And sure have a good satified feeling when I am done!

Thanks Jay

That was the fun part the work was splitting and stacking. My splitter is too low and my back gets sore using it.

Thanks Dennis

It was my first try. I am sure I can come up with something to make it better. It has a quick attach bucket and I am thinking of making something that I can put on there that will hold the but of the log and the tongs so I can see what I am doing.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Thanks LL

The worst part was getting set up on the log. I could not see around the hood to what I was doing. And if I ran a chain on the tongs so I could see them I could not lift the far end of the log.

Dunno… a career counselor once said to me “choose something you enjoy and you’ll never have to work a day in your life”. “Work” is when you’re doing one thing and wishing you were doing something else.

You are right LL I consider it exercise. And sure have a good satified feeling when I am done!

Thanks Jay

That was the fun part the work was splitting and stacking. My splitter is too low and my back gets sore using it.

Thanks Dennis

It was my first try. I am sure I can come up with something to make it better. It has a quick attach bucket and I am thinking of making something that I can put on there that will hold the but of the log and the tongs so I can see what I am doing.

Billy

I am affarid the bad back thing is getting me as well...I try to stay off the spliter when the big rounds are coming in!

I don't have that option Jay. If it is going to get done its up to me. But a better splitter is on the way!

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
I don't have that option Jay. If it is going to get done its up to me. But a better splitter is on the way!

Billy

I have 2 guys that will work part-time anytime I call and have been helping me for a couple years so they know there way around a log...8 bucks and hr. and we can move some wood!

Thats great Jay

I have no problem cutting splitting and stacking myself. But when I get the sawmill going I need to find a deal like that!

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Thats great Jay

I have no problem cutting splitting and stacking myself. But when I get the sawmill going I need to find a deal like that!

Billy

I will be using a Alaskan mill in a few days should be around 1000-1200 board ft when all done. This will take some time.

Mostly White/Paper Birch with one log that looks like spruce or pine on the lower left in the trailer. What was the question?

Looks like a lot of fussin'.
You need a set of forks for that bucket.
Depending on size of trees, I may drag a half dozen behind and have a couple, three, on the forks coming
up from the woods.
Use two sets of forks so when you're buckin', you don't end up with a four
foot piece to do on the ground.
I use heavy duty manure forks on my loader.
You're a handy guy. Think about a conveyor you can stack logs on and then feed to your saw.

Billy, those quick connect attachments are nice!

I have a neighbor who found an old fork lift in a junk yard. It didn't take much work to cobble together an extremely stout set of forks for his FEL. It works nicely for handling logs. Just a thought to throw at you.

Is there an excavator with a thumb in that barn of yours? That 71 is the perfect firewood saw.

Looks good to me.

zap

meh... too much work for those size logs Billy. In almost the time it takes make up a lift you could cut an entire log...cut 3/4 then roll it. If you have a bad back take a knee to the ground so you can keep your back straight while working. Nice Kubota btw.

Cool Jay

I haven't used a Alaskan mill but they look like they do a good job!

Howdy Wood Duck

Yep mostly white birch one white pine and one maple.

Hi Kenny C

Sounds good. That is Dads tractor and its going to the farm in a month or so. I have a heavy duty set of forks we are going to put on the wheel loader but have not figured out how we want to do it yet.

Thanks Dennis

Once we get the forks on the wheel loader we won't need them for the kubota I would like a grapple bucket. But that is way off in the future.

Thanks S&W

I would love a excavator but I do not see one in the near future. The 2171 is my favorite saw!!!!

Thanks Zap

I love playing around!

Howdy Savageactor

I wouldn't mess with it if I was blocking up the log where I dropped it. But I needed to unload the trailer anyway as I was not about to cut on that steel deck. It worked for me and I am happy with how it turned out. Time wise all it took was jumping out of the tractor one extra time.

Billy

My splitter was a little too low for me and was killing my back last year, so this year I just put a couple of cut 2X6s under all 4 points and it's up just enough so I don't have to be permanently bent to use it. I pupt a couple os 1x2s on the ends under the wheels so it won't roll off, just in case.

That thing looks like it would be handy for cutting the small stuff.

Yep. Not what I'd use on 4-5' diam. pieces, but it looks handy and very portable for a lot of the smaller stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.