blocky chunks in a gasifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
An idea, in case it holds promise for all of our joint efforts to explore and expand utilization of non-fossil energy-

My experiments with using small chunks of softwood scrap to start my gasifier have worked _so_ well that it almost makes me wonder whether these units would work well with cordwood "chunks" of roughly 5-6 inches on a side- rather than a typical firewood log which is much longer than it is wide. Such wood would also dry faster, as the surface/ volume relationship would be better for drying. It would, I'd tend to think, be rather resistant to the problem of "bridging" in a downdraft gasifier.

I cannot think how I'd process this sort of thing myself (since I do my own cutting and splitting) without a lot of hassle, but it seems as if, if this did work well in gasifiers, and gasifiers became more wide-spread, then this sort of product could be harvested using equipment like feller-bunchers and large scale processing equipment, dried, and transported in palletized "bins" that could be subject to a deposit, and then (the bins) returned and re-used.

The stuff could be run over some sort of screen so that all of the loose bark/ finer particulates could be taken out so that it'd be relatively non-messy for end users. The loose stuff could then go into some other processes, such as pellet production.

Sort of "oversized woodchips." They'd be easier to handle (than cordwood) for non-burly types- and seemingly ideal for things like Froling/ other "smart" boilers aimed at people who want efficiency with a little less of the gruntwork and sweating of the operating parameters.

Well, anyway, file that under food for thought for the Hearth.com Boiler Room's collective brainstorming.

Inevitably there will be the "end cut" on a log that would have made that last round too long and I try to stack them for later loading. When I get a stack I split them and burn them at around 4-5". They do burn good but for a "norm" situation it would be as you said a lot of hassle but tools could be made that would change a lot of that. One problem I have found with the blocks is in loading as 1 20" long split will take up less space than four 5" cubes so I don't think I get as full of a load and it seems the burn times are a little shorter. I would have to do a hard line analysis though to prove it as it might only be a perceived difference. The blocks might give the same effect in some gasifiers as smaller splits do with more exposed surface area and may lean toward longer burns.??.. That flexibility in fuels is one of the nice things about wood burning appliances though.

Status
Not open for further replies.