Blow back from VC insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nordica4

Sep 26, 2009
Southeastern Ma.
Currently own a Vermont Castings Insert. I have noticed at times especially when it is windy outside that we have blow back smoke coming into our Living Room through the side and top of the insert. Has anyone experienced this and can this somehow be avoided? I'm afraid we're going to set off the smoke alarm at times! Thanks a bunch!

Lisa

It may not be the type of insert you have, it may be just a wind issue. All stoves/inserts have areas where the air can come into them for combustion. These same areas of course can let air come out into the room if forced by wind. Have you looked into any kind of chimney caps that divert wind and turn it into an updraft? Have you noticed if it only happens when the wind is blowing a certain direction?

Thanks for the replies. We do have a chimney cap, whether it is an appropriate one for drafts, don't know, will have to look into this. Wow, great article also! I felt like I was back in high school physics class( I knew that class would come back to haunt me someday). Makes a little more sense now. Thanks all!

It would help to know how this insert is installed and exhausted. How far is it from the stove to the flue cap? Is the stove connected to a liner and if yes, is it insulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.