Blower fan electrical question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmer817

Jan 2, 2015
Michigan
Just moved in my new house where I had a Lennox Brentwood wood burning fireplace installed. Fires have been great! Unit is perfectly sized for the home and works well. I have the blower fan option as well. I had the builder install the fan without my direction. My fault. The fan speed control is located behind the front grill under the unit. I would have liked to have this control mounted on the wall next to the fireplace for easy access to adjust speed and turn off if wanted. The fan is sensor activated which I like but like to have manual control without having to remove the front grill and reach under. Trying to reroute it now will be difficult. There is an outlet that was prewired inside the unit which the fan plugs into. This outlet is connected and gets its power from an outlet next to the fireplace. I'm thinking of adding a switch in place of this outside outlet so that I can cut power to the outlet inside to turn off the fan if needed manually. Now I'm wondering if I can mount the fan speed controller in this outside outlet which would control the power going to the outlet located inside the fireplace. Would this be to code? Any issues?

Would this be to code? Any issues?
I'm not familiar with this unit but what you are wanting is doable and should not be a problem as long as everything is installed correctly. The 'code' question will be dependent upon how and where the new wiring is routed and making sure you use the correct wire, box & controller. I would go with high temp wire that is used on stoves. On my stove the controller is 120v but your's could be low voltage, you need to check on the voltage of the fan. You might want to call the mfg. to make sure that this will not affect any warranty and to see if they have any specs for you. I'm sure others have asked the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.