1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

blower for wood stove cheap replacement

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by gogiburn, Sep 14, 2013.

1. gogiburn

gogiburn Member

Loc:
    nj
    I used a blower from a computer,hooked up a house plug with female connectors and clipped on the wire.rigged up a housing with wire to hold it onto the stove,works great

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Pictures?
  3. Archminer

Archminer New Member

yes please
  4. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    That's my emergency power outage blower you've described, even a tiny 9v battery will run overnight, those 6v lantern packs should last for days, but luckily I've never not needed it that long. It won't put out nearly the flow of a regular fan, and unless you isolate it from the stove, you'd better not forget to turn it on or you'll have lump of plastic beside the stove.
    Mine is ugly, no way I'm posting pics.

TE
  5. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I did this for the Century. I picked up a 3" fan from Radio Shack for $10. The only thing I would caution is to get one that is 115-120V and not one of the DC ones.

The stove is in the family cabin, not at the house. I looked, but I don't have any pics.

I found the fan, or one like it for $25 at Radio Shack. The price went up a good deal, but is still cheaper than the ones from the dealer.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103787

Matt
  6. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Doesn't seem like the CFM for a fan like that would be of much help.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Just be mindful of heat. Some stoves get hotter than others at their lower extremes. Protect the wiring and avoid plastic against metal if your stove gets over 120::F down there.