blower motor surging?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lakerd

Apr 21, 2018
sw pa
couldn't find anything about this on site or google so throwing it out there to see if it happened to anyone else. i have a dayton shaded pole motor on my blower and speed is controlled by a plug in rheostat. if i set the speed at about 3/4 it runs at constant and expected speed for a minute or two then unexpectedly speeds up to max all on its own. it works fine at lower speeds but i avoid setting it anywhere near the 3/4 mark before i leave the house because i worry about this runaway speed control. i tried replacing the rheostat with one from the neighbor and the same thing happens so apparently it is something with the motor. anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Have you checked voltage when this is occurring?

i have a multi tester but i don't know how i would check the voltage. the blower plugs into the rheostat which plugs into the wall. there are no wires exposed. ready to learn something new if you want to teach.

Check the voltage after the rheostat, to see if it varies. Also check the voltage directly from the wall plug. I've had surging fans before, and the whole house voltage was running between 103v-110v, very low.