Blower on the Englander Add On Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mconnor

Oct 26, 2008
Guilford CT
I just finished the install on my Englander Add On Furnace and I'm running it for the first time. If it gets too hot in the house, can I turn off the unit's blower or will the duct work get too hot? Scott

Thats normal. You will learn to build quick hot fires from kindling, or 2" stuff like I do when needed. Use small splits in fair weather, and large round when very cold. If you shut off the blowers, you could easily produce a house fire if your clearances aren't within spec. Worse case senario, load smaller, open a window.

Thanks for the response. When I feel the ducts, they feel very hot to the touch even with the fan on. I'm hoping that's normal. I've had it going for about 5 hours now and we haven't had a fire yet. I guess that's good news.

Hi mconnor,
If the model of Englander I had got too hot I would shut down the draft controls to near off on the loading and ash box doors. After I had used the model for a couple of years I learned I could shut down the draft and actually add wood, but leave the draft turned way down, to get the temperature to drop more quickly. The heat the outside of the stove produces is generated on the inside. Cool the inside and the outside cools quickly when air is flowing across it. That trick is something you want to look at carefully as laynes69 points out about clearances. I had clearances and I had a stone wall on two sides my oil furnace one one side and wide open basement on the other. If you turn the blower off the duct work will get mighty hot and you will have effectually turned your add on furnace into a gravity furnace but with out air space surrounding and cooling the duct work of a gravity furnace. It would be better to just leave the blower on and open a window or door or both to cool the interior of the home down but by all means, once the stove is working, turn the draft down to keep the stove from getting too hot...Stay warm..(not toasted)..Cave2k

Status
Not open for further replies.