blower thermostat turning on-off too frequently

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
I've got a VC Montpelier that is going on its second season. Last year the blower performed flawlessly. This fall I cleaned out the blower by removing it partially and vaccuuming what I could.

Now, in the mornings when I come downstairs the blower will be turning on and off in bursts that last only a few seconds each.

I know that's not good for the motor or the electric bill. But I don't know how to correct it.

Any help?

Make sure that after "removing it partially", that you replaced it fully. If the heat activated contact is not fully against the body of the stove it will not get a steady state closure, and will cause cycling.

Where is the thermal switch located? If in the bottom of the firebox, is it possible you have a thicker-than-normal layer of ash acting as an insulator?

I don't think it's due to ash build-up because I never had this problem last year - before I cleaned the fan up.

I'll dismantle and look for the thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.