Blowers on Stove (Oslo)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
Don't hear much about blowers on stoves do they work , are they worth it was told the one for the Oslo is $275.00. Any input from anyone who has one. Trying to decide if I want to go ahead and get one.

Thanks

Attachments

• SDC10044.jpg
    SDC10044.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 484
  • SDC10047.jpg
    SDC10047.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 483
  • SDC10052.jpg
    SDC10052.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 464
I have a small regency stove, it came with a blower. When I first got the stove I used the blower, I set it on auto and it would come on when the stove was hot. I decided to try running the stove without the blower to see if it made a diffrence. I didn't notice much diffrencw in heating but the burn time seemed a bit longer without the blower. Now I never use it unless the stove is overheating. For $275 I would try it without the blower.

WES999 said:
I have a small regency stove, it came with a blower. When I first got the stove I used the blower, I set it on auto and it would come on when the stove was hot. I decided to try running the stove without the blower to see if it made a diffrence. I didn't notice much diffrencw in heating but the burn time seemed a bit longer without the blower. Now I never use it unless the stove is overheating. For $275 I would try it without the blower.

Thats good to know, Thank You

I started using the one on the stove last year. It helped to distribute the heat through the house better than any other method I tried. It also (like WES999 said) helps keep the stove in check a little.

A bit off topic but that curtain behind that baby......isn't it too close?

Diabel said:

I wondered when someone would comment on that, Wont be there this burn season that was just first breakin fire, good eye

cptoneleg said:
Diabel said:

I wondered when someone would comment on that, Wont be there this burn season that was just first breakin fire, good eye

Nice stove!

I use a cheapo little fan (big box stove type) when I want maximize heat exchange. Point at a 45 degree to the side and towards the back. It helps to circulate the air from the room and around the stove. I did not think it was worth buying the Jotul rear heat shield and factory blower. That is what I hear from others as well.

The OEM blower made a significant change when I added it after the first season. Our house is 3300 sq ft and the one side of the house is pretty much floor to ceiling glass and cathedral ceilings.

Typically I think the blowers on freestanding stoves are two screws and 10 mins of work. So I would wait and see, but, if your house/stove room is large, you will get more BTU's off most stoves with the blower running.

Well I don't have a blower on my Oslo, but I can tell you what the dealer told me . . . and my own experience in my home (2 story Cape, 1,800 square feet, 1970s vintage, semi-open, moderately insulated).

I asked the dealer about buying the blower and he suggested I try burning in the Oslo for a year . . . he said very few of his customers bought one and he had no complaints about the heat or moving the heat with the Oslo . . . he added that if I wanted to buy a blower afterwards it was an easy installation.

First year of heating . . . no issues . . . using a box fan or floor fan pointed towards the stove works really well in moving the heat for me . . . a bit cheaper than spending $275 for a blower to do the same thing.

My own advice . . . try running it for a year (or a few months) without the blower . . . try the fan trick . . . if not happy then install the blower.

Blowers work simply due to the principles of thermodynamics. If you move more air over your stove you will be able to transfer more heat into your room more quickly. The question is, do you you really need one?

Full Disclosure: I have a blower on my Castine and use it 75% of the time.

I know that I am joining this thread late, but would like to share my thoughts on stoves with blowers.
Blower is less critical with the free standing installation, but is good (or must) to have it with hearth mount installation, especially if a stove is partially inserted into a firebox. I believe that BeGreen has this type of set up. Stove with heat shield and blower creates radiant and convention heat. It works similar to bay front inserts, for example Hampton HI300. You will get some heat from this insert without running blower. Only percentage of radiant to convention heat is different.
We are going to convert our fireplace to more efficient source of heat and we can go with insert or stove. Our fireplace hearth extension is only 15", so if stove, it will be partially in the firebox and I think that we should buy blower. Please comment my assumption. Thank you.

If you are going to bury the stove into the fireplace, you are better off with an insert that comes with a blower - particularly if you have a very small fireplace. If you have a very large fireplace with good air circulation around the stove or you plan to mount the stove out on the hearth, a free standing stove will work well.

Oops! Correction to my message I have just sent. I meant to say:

"I believe that 'cycloxer' has this type of set up" (stove partially in firebox).

"Cycloxer" thank you for your reply. We have fireplace with a large size of firebox (48x31x24/20). Please see my post "What you would put in our fireplace": https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/59528/ for details.
Is our fireplace sufficient for a stove? A stove will be few inches in firebox. Is your stove totally in the front of firebox? Thanks.

I adapted a later model blower kit to my free standing Quadra Fire stove that is in a corner installation of a ~1,500 s ft house.

I like it.

It has significantly reduced temperature gradients from the north end to the south end (stove side) of the house. Prior to installation, I tested a box fan, which worked just as well, blowing cold air towards the stove. However, I like having the fan on a thermostat, and tucked away behind the stove blowing air up the gap between the rear heat shield and stove back. The air comes out a curved lip behind the stove that directs it in a somewhat laminar flow across the top of the stove.

For about $200, off e-bay, it was a good addition for us.

I'm in the process of follwing some of cyclxer's advice on a blower. I have the Oslo and I just put a rear heat shield on it to hopefully trap and move some warm air into other first floor rooms with the use of a blower.

I am probably going to see how it heats without it, then get myself one for Christmas. Thanks for all the good advise on this.

cptoneleg said:
I am probably going to see how it heats without it, then get myself one for Christmas. Thanks for all the good advise on this.

Good move. A blower/fan does increase heat transfer and air circulation around the stove. You will find the Oslo puts out plenty of heat. Also, if it is free standing with the sides and top exposed to the room, there is a large radiant component of heat transfer.

If you do decide you want forced convection, a 9 or 12 inch box fan can provide most of the benefit as the factory blower for a fraction of the cost. Also, instead of having a heat shield on the back of my Oslo, I insulated the back of my fireplace and sealed the top with an insulated block off plate. When I use my box fan, I blowing room air along the side of the stove towards the back and flushing out the air behind the stove. This is essentially addressing the same opportunity for redirecting heat as the heat shield w blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.