Blue flame...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
Hi all, I achieved a blue flame after 4 hours of burning and some red hot coals, anyone have any input on it, is it a chemical reaction, it is nice and toasty in the room tonight, my sil, took my ir meter last night so I can't take a temp reading while I have it. Any input would be great....
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thanks bud, how have you been......

Yup, that's nothing but a good clean burn!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 140
Be down to a small coal bed for the night load right about now.

I was burning more wood, 6 splits, this time, usually I do 2-3, had the air closed completely for most of the run, near the end before the blue flame I was playing with the air, opening it up getting a bigger flame and the closing it down, did that 2-3 times and then the blue flame came on, that stayed for about 40 minutes. The splits were also damp, on my back deck with covered awning, but it's been raining all day...

We've also noticed more blue flame when burning white birch.

I also see lots of blue flames, after a while it's almost all blue.

Attachments

• flare up.jpg
    flare up.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 139
I have seen posts about this with gasifiers. Now I know what they are talking about.:)

I almost always see blue flames in the coaling stages, but never really anytime else.

If I'm burning with little air on a full load I will have mostly blue flames for nearly the whole burn, but if I've got the air opened up a decent amount it will start throwing out mostly yellow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 146
Blue is a clean burn or some kinds of firewood. Mulberry or osage. Nice looking in the stove though.

Co burning- if I am not mistaken, just means nice clean burn

Status
Not open for further replies.