Blue Froge ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heaterman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2007
Falmouth, Michigan
Anyone out there have any experience with one of them? I had a guy ask me about one he is having issues with and I have never had the opportunity to look closely at one. He says when he closes the bypass (?) the fire will go out. I'm not familiar enough with the Blue Forge to get him pointed in the right direction.

heaterman said:
Anyone out there have any experience with one of them? I had a guy ask me about one he is having issues with and I have never had the opportunity to look closely at one. He says when he closes the bypass (?) the fire will go out. I'm not familiar enough with the Blue Forge to get him pointed in the right direction.
Heaterman, from the website this is described as a run of the mill downdraft gasser. Sounds like the flue gas passage from the nozzle back is blocked somewhere or there is a fan issue, if this has one. Randy

If I remember right these had some problems and were taken off the market. I don't know what they were but I think if you do a search here there is some referances on the forum. I had a cd on them and when I get a chance I'll try and see if I can locate it. I might have thrown it out but problably not as I tend to keep every thing.
leaddog

leaddog said:
If I remember right these had some problems and were taken off the market. I don't know what they were but I think if you do a search here there is some referances on the forum. I had a cd on them and when I get a chance I'll try and see if I can locate it. I might have thrown it out but problably not as I tend to keep every thing.
leaddog

can't imagine you being the type to keep everything Les ;)

heaterman said:
leaddog said:
leaddog

can't imagine you being the type to keep everything Les ;)
Found the cd. It lists this web site. http://ka-lesdistributing.com/grizzly.htm. It looks like they have redesigned the boiler. If you have a question it lists a ph# and it looks like the same person that made the blue forge is there so maybe they can help. I'll send you the cd if you want. It does show them burning corn and that is interesting and it is a downdraft gasifier built like a OWB.
leaddog

heaterman said:
The cd states that it is a water tube hx and I'm thinking the exaust passages are pluged. From the looks of the outside I don't see any way to clean it without cutting into the sides but there may be provisions for that. Looks like heavy steel so with some work it might be able to make it working again if that is the case.
leaddog

If my memory serves . . . didn't the water run through the grates on the BF? Looked like a decent design to my eye. But what the hell I know? :long:

leaddog said:
heaterman said:
The cd states that it is a water tube hx and I'm thinking the exaust passages are pluged. From the looks of the outside I don't see any way to clean it without cutting into the sides but there may be provisions for that. Looks like heavy steel so with some work it might be able to make it working again if that is the case.
leaddog

From what the guy is telling me, that's exactly what it sounds like. The unit will not maintain a fire when he closes the bypass damper. In fact, the fire will go completely out. My guess is that the unit is 3+ years old. The owner told me he bought the BF as a demo unit back when Cozy Heat moved from Indian River up to Cheboygan which pretty much matches the time frame. If you want to send the CD the address is PO Box 28, Falmouth, MI 49632

Status
Not open for further replies.