1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Bluestone Hearth & Facing - repair and sealing questions

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Federal Hill, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Federal Hill

Federal Hill New Member

Loc:
    Providence, RI
    Hey folks,

A few years ago we installed a FireRock woodburning fireplace in our home, and had a mason install Pennsylvania bluestone hearth and facing (very simple: one piece hearth, three piece facing: lintel and two uprights). We've run into a couple of problems since ...

First, and most important, one of the facing pieces has come loose. I can't get ahold of the mason to come and repair it, so I think I need to DIY this. I am a masonry inept, so I'd love to buy something in a tube and reattach the sucker. Is there such a product? Or should I be mixing and applying some kind of mortar? If so, what?

Second, we never sealed the stone, and now there are some smoke marks (mainly behind where the steel frame of the firescreen touches the facing) and some small liquid stains on the hearth. Is there a best method of cleaning this? Favored sealant?

Thanks in advance!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. southbalto

southbalto Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Mid-Atlantic
    I would probably go with some sort of hi temp adhesive. I had a stone come loose several years back and the adhesive has held the stone fine.

The other option is to pull the stone, clean it as best you can, and remove some of the old mortar behind it. You can use some new type s (three parts sand one cement) or get premix.

I guess applying a sealant is just personal preference. I'm not a fan of the look....every time i've seen it applied it's left the stone looking wet.

Good luck!

also, pictures..... I love bluestone!
  3. r_towle

r_towle New Member

There is a very strong stone epoxy sold at homedepot in the concrete section.
    It comes in a caulking tube with a very neat tip that swirls and mixes both parts.
    I used it on a few stones, it's stronger than concrete....

Rich
  4. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires