BoA is bullish on Nuclear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Well, that was a fun read during my morning cup of coffee!

So, there is a bit of misdirection here, perhaps unintentional. Of course, compared to other analysts (and marketplace investors) these headline numbers seem nuts. After all, we are not building a lot of nukes in the US, we are retiring a bunch of coal plants, and we are building a lot of renewable energy, much of that with storage.

In the executive summary, they say that following re costs (obv divide by 1000 to get cost per kWh):
new nuclear $122/MWh
wind+storage $291/MWh
solar+storage $431/MWh
coal $90/MWh **
gas $40/MWh **

and they reference Exhibit 20 on page 12. But the costs are actually from Exhibit 21 on page 12, which **lists coal at $90/MWh and gas at $40/MWh.

This rank ordering seems to be odds with current market trends, like shutting down existing coal plants to build lots of renewable energy.
It also seems to undercut their financial argument bc nuclear looks like a big loser next to coal and gas! But they omit the coal and gas numbers for the headline... Hmmm, bc they are only talking about low carbon tech.

Let's look at exhibit 20, which they actually referenced in the executive summary. It has the following:
new nuclear $71/MWh
wind+storage $132MWh
solar+storage $141/MWh
coal $93/MWh
gas $103/MWh

These look pretty different from exhibit 21, and a LOT more reasonable on a first pass.

The reference for the renewable numbers is an analysis by Lazard 2023. https://www.lazard.com/research-insights/2023-levelized-cost-of-energyplus/
That report looks reasonable enough, and in line with other research I have read, and discusses its methodology in detail.

The nuke and fossil numbers are from "BofA Research Investment Committee, Lazard, Entler,et al. (2018)." which I could not locate anywhere. So the assumptions and methodology used to compute those figures are not publicly stated. :(

But ofc, the 'crazy' headline numbers are from Exhibit 21, what is the source for those? Its from: "BofA Research Investment Committee, Idel 2022" which is ALSO not publicly available, so its methodology and assumptions cannot be assessed either.

How are the two sets of numbers different? The associated text says:

Levelized cost of energy” (LCOE) measures an energy source’s lifetime costs divided by energy output and is a common standard for comparing different energy projects. Most LCOE calculations do not account for factors like natural gas or expensive battery backup power for solar or wind farms. Solar and wind look more expensive than almost any alternative on an unsubsidized basis when accounting for those external factors (Exhibit 20). This is especially true when accounting for the full system costs (LFSCOE) that include balancing and supply obligations (Exhibit 21). Nuclear appears to be the cheapest scalable, clean energy source by far.

So the second set of numbers are LCOE, a conventional measure, drawn from the available Lazard white paper, and internal BoA analysis (with Lazard) that presumably uses similar assumptions. The first (headline) set of numbers adjusts the numbers (mostly upwards for renewables) by "accounting for the full system costs (LFSCOE) that include balancing and supply obligations", and they don't say anything other than that re where the numbers come from.

Unpacking, I would suggest that "balancing and supply obligations" means having a whole nother generator system sitting on standby to provide backup for some small number of hours per year. How many hours? How much backup? They don't say... but it appears to double to cost of wind+storage and triple the cost of solar+ storage... I wonder what that could be?? And apparently the cost of backing up nuclear (and unstated 'all-in costs') do not make such a large multiple.

Obviously, without stating their assumptions, the "full system LCOE" calculation is not compelling. I have seen many arguments over the years that solar doesn't work financially because you need to have a completely fueled and ready to go fossil (or other) plant standing by as backup. And as a result, solar automatically costs more than just running that backup fossil plant (in terms of capital). But apparently, the folks at BoA are not willing to share the deets on this calculation, despite the numbers driving the executive summary. Very suss.

BTW, Exhibit 22 talks about EROI, an idea haven't seen thrown around since the Peak Oil scare days and 'The Oil Drum' blog. ;lol

EROI measures the quantity of energy supplied per quantity of energy used in the supply process. A higher number means better returns. The EROI ratio below 7x indicates that wind, biomass, and non-concentrated solar power may not be economically viable without perpetual subsidies.

At the end of the day, they are saying that renewables don't make enough energy to pay off their construction in energy, assigning an arbitrary 15% factor (if construction energy is over 15% of ultimate yield) to say that 'it just won't work'.

These numbers on energy yield for renewable systems were debunked a decade ago.

------

But turnabout is fair play. :)

Let's look at Lazard: https://www.lazard.com/research-insights/2023-levelized-cost-of-energyplus/

which gives the second set of numbers, that are better than the first set, but still make fossils looks stupid cheap, and renewables look uncompetitive (in 2023). The report does look at price trends, and says a bunch of stuff that seems reasonable, like cost trends for renewables are falling rapidly (implying that they would be more competitive in the future). They also say that carbon capture and storage CCS is both uneconomic and unlikely to get cheaper in the future! Speaking truth to power.

So, do I agree with Lazard's analysis? Nope. I think they are making one BIG mistake. Capacity factor.

1. The fossil and nuke plants are assumed to be used at high capacity factors (over 80%).
2. Renewables without storage are assumed to run at their natural capacity factors (like 20-30%).
3. Renewables + storage are assumed to have 4 hour storage sufficient to spread their output over the early evening demand period (the head of the duck curve).

Assumption 2 and 3 are very sensible, and what everyone does. Assumption 1 is the conventional assumption (and has been correct for decades), but in a high renewable penetration world, it is fundamentally incorrect. That renewable energy with a low price undercuts the other generators midday, and with storage undercuts effectively most demand. So Assumption 1 is only valid if you assume that overproduction results in curtailing the renewables, rather than the more expensive fossil and nuke plants (which can't be throttled that fast). Curtailment aside, if the wholesale price of kWh drops during the day due to high solar penetration, the financial benefits of the fossil and nuke plants have to take a hit.

In other words, in a high renewable penetration world, is it very difficult for conventional plants operate profitably at high capacity factor. Maybe a fossil plant would need to shut down and restart daily. Maybe the nuke plant can't compete except in the winter season.

And when the capacity factor for those incumbents starts to drop due to these economic factors, their LCOE explodes due to capital costs. And the capital cost for nukes is esp high. This is how new tech disrupts old tech, in a nutshell, by changing the profit calculation that used to work for decades.

--------------------

I have a close friend who was a lifelong VP at a couple different major banks. IMO, the banking industry is all about making money at very low risk using relatively simple formulae like compound interest. Bankers write contracts that make them guaranteed money if they pay, and they get bailed out by insurance or the govt if the contract doesn't pay. Heads I win, Tails you lose.

My friend is a smart enough fellow, but not that sophisticated. He looks clients in the eye and judges them worth of a loan or not (and thinks this sufficient) and makes money whether he is correct or not. His math skills extend to adding up debts and credits, and computing compound interest (which puts him ahead of ~70% of americans). But a complicated market analysis that requires Monte Carlo or integrating ODEs or agent based modeling? Naw... he has quants working for him to do that. :)

So I am basically skeptical that some shop at BoA does some new analysis that is very different from another (publicly available) analysis that they did recently (the two number tables), get a wild result, and I am expected to believe it. These are the same folks whose 'novel analyses' gave us the Great Financial Crisis a while ago (that my friend was directly involved in, but still is not sure what went wrong).

--------------------------

TL, DR; someone at BoA has their head in a very old fashioned 'OIl Drum' place regarding the future of the energy system, and is cherry picking and cooking their own internal analyses to make nukes look great and say (explicitly) that renewables don't work. The crazy stuff is saved for page 12, and buried in references that are not publicly accessible, and broadly contrary to their analyses that ARE accessible.

It appears that the authors are assuming that we need to build a low carbon energy system (so no fossils, and CCS is too expensive) and that renewables are not feasible for unstated technical/cost reasons (that appear based on obsolete reasoning). So, unsurprisingly, they conclude that nukes are the only way to go, and compute nuke costs making favorable assumptions (like 90% capacity factor), and get a reasonable looking price.

Methinks they want me to invest in nukes. My conclusion is to not invest in BoA.

Last edited:
Nuclear power is a good option albeit at a very steep price. Any energy production comes at a price but there are a three things stopping nuclear: the general public’s fear and definitely not in my backyard position and then time from planning to startup, how long was the one in Georgia? And then the cost, $31 billion for the Vogtle which was way over budget.

By the way @woodgeek, wow that is quite the summary analysis. I read most of the article but did not get all that out of it!

Given the mess in Georgia at Vogtle 3&4, https://www.powermag.com/blog/plant...ed to mention,MWh, which is astoundingly high.
I do not see any bank going near financing a conventional nuclear plant project unless there is federal government loan guarantee backstopping it and even than, given the duration of a potential project, there is risk on the guarantee as it will have to survive multiple federal administrations and congresses. Lots of PR out there about the New Nuclear & SMRs but the only one close, NuScale, just laid off much of its workforce. The new buzzword is "micro reactors" but even they are far more PR vaporware chasing after funding than viable companies.

This is making more sense to me if I think about from a short term investment strategy. The nuclear industry is at a low point. Energy markets are volatile but as long as you are not investing in capital projects it might be a good stack investment to put money into nuclear companies. They likely know where the floor is after Fukushima. Considering some really want a diversified power grid nuclear will likely be a part. Solar and battery manufacturing capacity is a know quantity with significant lead time to any real market disrupters that would negatively impact nuclear related stocks.

New fossil fuel projects will kill be orphaned or never get off the ground as the energy markets evolve and the pace of global warming doesn’t decline. I could see a strong lobby effort resulting is the elevation of nuclear in the power generation mix.

That all said the authors come across and borderline down right stupid with their assumptions but they don’t need to
Be correct in the long term to make money. They just need the potential for sector growth and to be able to sell their interests before and downturns.

This is making more sense to me if I think about from a short term investment strategy. The nuclear industry is at a low point. Energy markets are volatile but as long as you are not investing in capital projects it might be a good stack investment to put money into nuclear companies. They likely know where the floor is after Fukushima. Considering some really want a diversified power grid nuclear will likely be a part. Solar and battery manufacturing capacity is a know quantity with significant lead time to any real market disrupters that would negatively impact nuclear related stocks.

I'm not sure I follow. Nukes are capital intensive, take a long time to build and qualify, and their ultimate cost is super sensitive to the interest rate, but at any rate amortization will take a looong time.

Solar and battery are not known quantities... they are moving targets still walking costs lower, with potential tech disruptions to the cost downside still possible in the battery space. And the lead time is super short (like less than 18 mos to bring a project on line). That is a clear and present risk to future amortization of nukes and thus their ROI.

It seems that all the nuke startups and research are for new tech... micro reactors, other fuel pathways... and that speaks to the current tech being uneconomic, risky or both. Which corresponds to the analyses I've seen.

That said, there are lots of reasons that a govt might want to have some civilian reactors in the mix, and could subsidize that for national security purposes. I'm not sure what they would be in a future solar+wind+battery 'age of abundance'... but I can suspend my disbelief.

Methinks they want me to invest in nukes. My conclusion is to not invest in BoA.
I knew you would have some good thoughts on this report. Thanks for the deep dive. Noah Smith would be proud. I wish that BoA would have spent a lot more time and paper on exploring their second best line item - geothermal.

• Haha
Reactions: woodgeek
I'm not sure I follow. Nukes are capital intensive, take a long time to build and qualify, and their ultimate cost is super sensitive to the interest rate, but at any rate amortization will take a looong time.

Solar and battery are not known quantities... they are moving targets still walking costs lower, with potential tech disruptions to the cost downside still possible in the battery space. And the lead time is super short (like less than 18 mos to bring a project on line). That is a clear and present risk to future amortization of nukes and thus their ROI.

It seems that all the nuke startups and research are for new tech... micro reactors, other fuel pathways... and that speaks to the current tech being uneconomic, risky or both. Which corresponds to the analyses I've seen.

That said, there are lots of reasons that a govt might want to have some civilian reactors in the mix, and could subsidize that for national security purposes. I'm not sure what they would be in a future solar+wind+battery 'age of abundance'... but I can suspend my disbelief.
My summarized point is that I don’t think an investment bank really needs to see the venture all the way through. They may just be investing via stock purchases for the short term. They might be underwriting the ventures and have longer term interests but I just don’t see how they would want money tied up in nuclear construction projects. Even if they have white papers that say they are money makers I’m not sure know of any that were built on time and budget in the last 10 years.