bogus hearth rugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
I don't understand how anyone can advertise polyester, olefin or wool as a hearth rug. Surely these melt and smell horrible when they get burned?

I don't understand how anyone can advertise polyester, olefin or wool as a hearth rug. Surely these melt and smell horrible when they get burned?
They are fire resistant as they claim but not fire proof and yes many can melt. But yes they are bogus I have seen many that people tried to use as a hearth extension.

Agreed. There are some fiberglass hearth rugs that may work for ember protection but even they will not be effective if they are loose and allowed to shift away from the fireplace or stove hearth.

Since the ember-on-the-oriental-rug incident, I got a fiberglass hearth rug. It's a not so great looking solid beige, so I put a dark patterned poly rug over it. I actually screwed down the fiberglass rug to the wood floor since it has a tendency to move.