Boiler clearance issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

headrc

Mar 28, 2008
MidEast Tennessee
Hi all ...I am still culling over the install of a wood gasification unit ...probably an Eko 40 but I have not totally decided on the unit yet. I have decided that I need water storage if I am going to do this. My question is this ...I have a shed area of roughly 8x12 to put everything in. I have located a couple of smaller used propane tanks (350 gallon, 250 gallon) asnd may be able to locate a used 500 gallon propane tank in the next month or so. Even if I get the 500 gallon and as a result do not have to use two tanks to get the 500 gallons that I believe I will need .....laying out an install does not seem to work when I take into consideration the clearances that Tarm and Eko recommend ....is this because of wood framing? Can I get by with less clearance if I line the interior wood frame walls with metal? The shed will be insulated very well .... Thx again ...RH

From my perspective, the only clearances that matter from a safety point of view are the front and especially the back. That's for an EKO. Everything else seems related to maintenance, so that's more of a case-specific call. My boiler has about an inch of clearance from a cinderblock wall left and right, about 12 inches from a steel door in the front and probably 24 inches from the chimney to a steel door in the rear.

The real problem with not following the stated clearances in the manual is more related to codes/inspections/etc. You have to follow what the manual specifies if you want to be in compliance. Cheap corrugated steel roofing (the galvanized kind) makes a good boiler room wall covering. I have sheets of it screwed into my steel doors for extra heat dissipation.

My 'boiler room' is 10' X 12' . . . my complaint is there's not enough room to store 10 full cord of wood. But I can get about two weeks worth in there, down the sides of the GW.

Status
Not open for further replies.