Boiler heat storage versus water tank storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobble

Hearth Supporter
Oct 2, 2008
Southern VT
OK - I've read the sticky about "Which stove should I buy". Looked all over for consumer info on wood boilers and could not find anything. Nothing in Consumer Reports the last 8 years. That said I'm looking at the Greenwood 100 indoor boiler. Planning on installing it in my garage. Lke the idea of having 1400 lbs of brick to store the heat instead of a large tank of water taking up more room in my garage or basement. Seems a little cheaper to purchase and install. Greenwood is quoting a quicker delivery time too. First question - Anyone having quality/service problems with Greenwood? Second - Any suggestions on comparable high efficiency brick heat storage type boilers? Third - What are the advantages/disadvantages of using water storage tanks? Thanks for all, Cobble

I'll take a shot at one thing......the boiler heat storage is pretty negligible. Without even getting into the discussion of the heat capacity of certain materials, we can compare mass to mass. Another boiler (water-based without storage) might weigh 1200 lbs of steel plus 50 gal of water - a total of about 1600 lbs. This is NOT considered heat storage - and neither would a boiler that weighed under a couple tons.

The brick should be looked at as a combustion enhancer, not a heat storage medium. Since the brick (or water) in the boiler itself must always be kept quite hot for proper functioning, it cannot be drawn down...and that is where storage capacity comes from - the DIFFERENCE between the high temp and the low temp.

So, in short, comparing apples to apples, one boiler does not have it much over another when it comes to built in storage - with the exception possibly being a large OWB with hundreds of gallons.

I'll let the other folks here continue....

That's exactly it... You go and use that piece of refractory in a Greenwood as "heat storage" and when you fire it back up, the efficiency will be zip until you get that rock heated back up so it can burn clean again.. So you would in essence be better off leaving a fire in it all the time and just letting it idle vs go out and draw down the refractory....

cobble said:
OK - I've read the sticky about "Which stove should I buy". Looked all over for consumer info on wood boilers and could not find anything. Nothing in Consumer Reports the last 8 years. That said I'm looking at the Greenwood 100 indoor boiler. Planning on installing it in my garage. Lke the idea of having 1400 lbs of brick to store the heat instead of a large tank of water taking up more room in my garage or basement. Seems a little cheaper to purchase and install. Greenwood is quoting a quicker delivery time too. First question - Anyone having quality/service problems with Greenwood? Second - Any suggestions on comparable high efficiency brick heat storage type boilers? Third - What are the advantages/disadvantages of using water storage tanks? Thanks for all, Cobble

Greenwood "indoor" boiler? I would plan on incorporating an exhaust system in your install plan if you purchase one and install in your garage. My former Adobe is a Seton/Greenwood type boiler--with the Adobe you get built in cheapness and a faulty forced air draft system. The Seton/Greenwoods have no where the number of quality issues that the Adobe has/had. Service? Seton seems to address customer issues for the most part while Greenwood seems hit or miss from threads read here. The Greenwood or any boiler is going to benefit from storage.

I'm currently in the midst of an Econoburn 100 install with the plans for future storage. Do a search on Greenwood in the boiler section here--there is plenty to read. I really don't think the Greenwood is a cheaper purchase--check out prices on the Econoburns,EKOs--see the Cozy Heat link--prices are posted. Good Luck.

Webmaster said:
So, in short, comparing apples to apples, one boiler does not have it much over another when it comes to built in storage - with the exception possibly being a large OWB with hundreds of gallons.

I'll let the other folks here continue....

...unless it's a Garn! :cheese:

Chris

I have a greenwood 100. They have been good to work with, been able to answer my questions promptly and have supplied new parts quickly. Have had a learning curve to overcome but am now running it with 750 gallons of storage and have no problems. I would not put into a building that smoke would be a problem. I have a fan and duct system in place to draw smoke outside. I burn mostly birch, some spruce and cottonwood. ( I burn what is available). This stove makes lots of hot water. My hot water heater is turned off for the winter and the natural gas boiler hasn't ran in a month and a half.
Steve

The Garn isn't a boiler...... It's uh.... uh....... uh....... a living, breathing, angry heat producing BEAST!!! :) LOL!

All kidding aside, the Garn is a VERY nice system... I think each of us here would have bought one if we'd won the lotto or something and cash was no object... I just wish they made em in a pressurized format.....

deerefanatic said:
The Garn isn't a boiler...... It's uh.... uh....... uh....... a living, breathing, angry heat producing BEAST!!! :) LOL!

All kidding aside, the Garn is a VERY nice system... I think each of us here would have bought one if we'd won the lotto or something and cash was no object... I just wish they made em in a pressurized format.....

If cash were no object and space were no object, and if we needed LOTS of heat. Very nice by all accounts, but large both in physical size and heat output.

True, but with the storage built in, heat output isn't a big deal as you just heat the water up faster...... Just don't load the firebox so full....

cobble said:
Chris - What do you like about the Garn as compared to the Greenwood or other indoor boilers? Thanks, Cobble

It's BIG, very big. It seems to solve a lot of problems very nicely. It takes the sledgehammer approach to getting things done. As the hot rodders will tell you, there's no replacement for displacement and that thing has some serious displacement. I've never seen one, but it must be awe inspiring. Did I mention that it's BIG? I could heat my entire neighborhood with one!

If I could afford it, I'd probably go with an Eco; somehow I think the neighbors would freak if they saw a Garn in my driveway. One day...

Chris

nofossil said:
There's supposedly a development somewhere in Vermont that's heated with a Garn. One Garn. A whole development.

Hmmmmmm. Got me thinking! How big does Pex go? :coolsmirk:

Chris

hi there folks , I am a new owner of the greenwood 200 and have a severe "goo" issue
my chimney is 14ft above the roof however there is a higher building about 25' away and i was wondering if the lack of draft would be the cause of the kresot build up?
desperatly in need of help!!!!

Sorry about the name just been a very frusterating week with the mess !
do you think a draft inducer will elimanate some of the problems ?
this thing seems to drip at any idle which considering the mild winters we have could be a big problem

I would suggest first sealing everything with high temperature silicon and rope gaskets and test as shown by Anthony https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11830/ and

Test your draft with a manometer - as shown by Anthony
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/10679/P90/

A draft inducer may help but it would be best to eliminate any air leaks first and then find out where your draft is with a meter - should be between 0.05" and 0.08" of water column.

Hopefully Anthony will chime in here - he is "the man" when it comes to Seton's (and just about anything else :))

Search for posts from "Anthony D" and you will find a great deal about getting the most from your Seton.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.