boiler next step advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tedlee

Apr 28, 2016
coastal virginia
Hey everyone. I have been running a Garn 2000 w/a fan coil and side arm for 7 years. Its a simple system but it has worked well for us. Due to shoulder surgery I will not be able to cut firewood. So I'm thinking or replacing my Garn with an oil boiler. I need to know if you think its a feasible idea and if so which brand and how to set it up. Ive no experience with a closed system but why wouldn't my current set up (water lines fan coil, etc.) work with a non condensing 100000 but boiler? Any other ideas or input is appreciated.

I don't see a lot of action around these parts in the area of oil fired boilers. Do you have a local dealer? Any chance you have propane or natural gas available? I'm assuming fuel oil is going to be the most expensive fuel you could select. Good luck!

Could have sworn I replied to this a couple days ago.

You don't have anything for backup heat now? The Garn is your only source? Or?

And most importantly (maybe) - are you absolutely sure you won't be using it any more? Undoing that install would be a hard thing to undo if you ended up wanting to still burn. I would even pay for my wood vs. oil, I think, as long as I could still light, feed & maintain it.

But even then you should still have a second heat source.

You did reply and I did answer that I have electric heat pump. It just wont make the heat a boiler does. After all it took to buy and install my Garn I certainly regret having to move on. When your body tells you something; listen. Anyway thats where I'm at. I just like the idea of an oil boiler to watch over. Also again, a diesel generator would be a natural fit with it in the Garn shed. Just like stee6043 I need to find it a good home. The Garn has been very good to me. Is there any major technical reason I can't swap an oil boiler for the Garn in my system? Thanks for the replies.

I would say no. Might be a few minor adaptations to do, but can't see something preventing it.

And if I were in your shoes I would likely be looking at oil also, unless I had access to natural gas. I know for sure it wouldn't be an electric boiler or the like - they chew through the juice pretty quick.

Having said that, my next thing heating-wise will likely be a mini-split heat pump.

(I guess you asked the question twice in two different places - thought I was losing my marbles or something....)

A mini split would work great down there.

I think you'll have zero problems selling your Garn once you're ready to make a move. That's a rockstar of a boiler.....

Have you looked at pellet boilers at all?
There is a chance that you can find some biomass that will work in a pellet boiler that could save you some $$
I have heard of nut shells,corn cobs ect being used in pellet stoves.With a hopper and a lift of some sort you could keep it topped up without much work from your body.