Boiler or pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lpgreg

Dec 26, 2007
central mi.
Well the recent temps have gotten to the point that my insert is running nonstop and unable to heat the room above 68, obviously the bedrooms in the rear of the house are at 60 degrees which will be to cold for the family. I was wondering if I fire up the boiler should I run the insert at the same time?. I believe I use 7 to 7.5 gals. of propane per day at $2.29 per gal. I am probably using 2 bags of pellets now per day.

lpgreg said:
Well the recent temps have gotten to the point that my insert is running nonstop and unable to heat the room above 68, obviously the bedrooms in the rear of the house are at 60 degrees which will be to cold for the family. I was wondering if I fire up the boiler should I run the insert at the same time?. I believe I use 7 to 7.5 gals. of propane per day at $2.29 per gal. I am probably using 2 bags of pellets now per day.

your decision shouldn't be rationally different based on whether or not the stove can carry the whole heating load. If you would use pellets if it was 30 degrees outside to provide all the heat you need, then you should use them at 0 degrees to provide 75% (or whatever) of the heating load too (and vice versa if you would not use them).

Two bags are no more or less economical, more or less green, or more or less political depending on the outside temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.