Boiler pipe insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Anyone use the foam pipe noodles in their hot water boiler pipes (copper)? Wondering if the temps of the pipes when the heat is on melts the foam.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Anyone use the foam pipe noodles in their hot water boiler pipes (copper)? Wondering if the temps of the pipes when the heat is on melts the foam.
I have a fair amount of my copper and Pex pipes on my Garn system with the foam pipe noodles on them in my shop and basement. I haven't had any issues with them melting.

Reactions: mark cline
The black "rubatex" neoprene is generally a better insulation product that the polyethylene pool noodles that can be impacted by heat.

Reactions: BansheeTwin350
Got them all over and they work great on the pipes with 190f water. Noodles are cool to the touch so they must at least be helping.

Melting point of polyethylene is 230°f. If your pipes get that hot, not a good idea to use.

I actually had exactly the same thoughts about trying them out as pipe insulation. The stuff that is purpose built for insulating pipes is pricy. Pool noodles are cheap. But also flammable, so keep that in mind.

I'll check on the external temp of my pipes with my temp reading gun in a few places next time I run the boiler. Last season that was only once or twice, twice so far this season. I think it's hard to find these in winter, in summer they are abundant.

I can't say if the polyethylene would melt or not. I insulated in the boiler room and over to the house, nothing on the house side. I used rubber first and then polyethylene over that for a nice tight fit, no losses there. Highest temps we see is 200F.

Neoprene is one of many elastomers.

Yes, seems like it wouldn’t be much, but probably better than a bare pipe. Those other pipe insulations are only rated to 200*, and I heat my system above that. I’ve used them, but they get a bit crispy.