boiler + steps = lots of friends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssupercoolss

Hearth Supporter
Jan 28, 2008
southeast pa
i know this has been done before here, i am sure someone else has been in the same situation. my 600 lb boiler has to go up 2 stairs from my garage into my kitchen, through my kitchen, then down a narrow set of steps (about 12), but, i wont be able to go all the way down the starirs, about 2-3 rungs before the bottom i will have to turn it then get it to the floor. so i am wondering if i will be able to handle this thing with a good moving dolly, the one with the strap and the little tracks for sliding down steps, or.....should i strap this thing to a flat dolly, make a ramp out of my steps, and lower down the steps with lots of large people and rope? i know i will have to do some work on my steps with some temp bracing. but as far as the rest, i am open for suggestions.

600 pounds isn't all that heavy, so I think the upright dolly with straps and about 3 or 4 people should be sufficient. Safety first.

I say ramp the steps, and lots of people.... We moved the old forced air wood furnace out of our basement.. It was supposedly 650lbs and we removed the blower, doors, and firebrick which should have gotten it to around 500..... It was still a major undertaking with me, my dad, and the guy who bought it (none of us were small by any means).... And our stairs are reasonably wide and not too steep..... If I'd have had it to do over, I'd have planked the stairs, then got all of us up top and pulled it up.

As it was, we ran 2x6's across the wall of the house over one window, wrapped a chain around the boards, attached a ratchet winch to that, which was connected to the top of the furnace with a large tow strap, and winched on that while I pryed with a 7' prybar from the bottom.......

looking like planks on the stairs is leading the way so far......i like the idea of sending it down attached to the upright dolly, kind or laying down, instead of strapping it to a flat dolly. i know 600 lbs isnt that much, i kinda look at it as the same as 3 adults. its the getting it through my kitchen, and started down the steps......fortunatly my kitchen was remodeled a few years ago and made much bigger. unfortunatly my kitchen was remodeled a few years ago and made much more expensive.(reason i bought the house)

it still amazes me how fast people reply to a post around here.....

Go with the planks and bracing the stairs. You will have much better control sliding the boiler down on its back. Trying to make that turn with a hand truck will be very difficult with 600 lbs. Also put plywood down on the kitchen floor.

I slid an econoburn down my stairs on its back . I only put 2 2x6 on edge on both sides and slid her down with chain hoists held across my door way. We pretty well had to push it down .

I wouls also go with planks on the stairs and some braces below to hold the extra weight .... or you could put in a shed outside

I've done this more than I care to think about. Skip the ramp, gets in the way. Make sure steps are strong enough, if you can find/rent one, there are dollies with power lifts to move up stairs. Strip the jacket off, put some pipe nipples in some taps for lift handles, take it one step at a time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.