Update on my system, way over due

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cumminstinkerer

Burning Hunk
Feb 2, 2016
central iowa
So some of you may know, around 2 years ago I got a polar G2+, I installed it into my existing setup with the 1500 gallon unpressurized storage. I have run the boiler through the last couple months of the first winter, all that summer, and the next winter, plus this summer, totally happy with its performance1 it knocked wood use about 1/3-1/2 from the econoburn even, now starting last saturday, I went in and insulated my attic, long overdue, went from maybe 3 inches in there to 18 inches blown in, so far this week has been awesome, night before last we dropped to 17F I burned a 1/2 firebox of wood from 6:30ish tuesday night until 6:45 wednesday morning, we had 30+ mph winds for a fair bit of that time. Last night I loaded up at 7:30 filled the box, we got down to 25F, no wind, I used 0 wood, boiler never fired overnight, when I left at 6:45 this morning storage was still 4F away from calling for heat and firing the boiler. I am super impressed, this setup is so simple and the wood use is awesome, I have to get a check valve into my DHW supply line yet as it is thermosiphoning up the cold line for DW a good bit, just haven't had a chance yet as I only recently found that out. Feel free to ask away or bash either is fair :)

I guess I forgot to mention, the polar will idle and I get no smoke or goo in the tubes, I once over a spring run had it go 72 hours without firing but box had wood/coals, when it called for heat it fired itself back up, I was unsure if it would and watched it, it smoked less than a cold start, and went to full gassing within 5 minutes.

Very impressive! Can you refresh on the cost of the G2?
How many gallons does she hold alone?

When I was looking at Polar boilers a few years ago they were around 13k at that time, I'm sure they've gone up since then. I heard that they were going to possibly start building a all stainless boiler but I'm not sure if that ever came to fruition ?? The boiler I was looking at has a SS firebox, but the rest of the boiler was made out of boiler plate steel. The "guts" of the boiler is just a copy of a Froling, They are built at a Hutterite colony in Canada, and are built like a tank with mostly off the shelf parts.

So a bit more update, after insulating my attic( from max of 3 inches up to 18 inches of blown in) I have been getting 24 hours from a single load with plenty left, usually about a third of the firebox yet. Last night our low was 7F, I loaded the boiler at about 8PM and when I checked this morning at 6:45 AM it had not used any, I will load again tonight. House is set at 70F, not much for wall insulation (if any, I am unsure) boiler also runs DHW full time, Propane is shut off, Have myself, my wife and sister-in-law there so a fair bit of laundry and bathing. I am very happ[y with the results so far. I did have one day last week that was in the high 20s with a 40ish MPH wind out of the north, that did use up most of that 24 hour load but still was able to load and forget it.

Just thought I would throw out some more updates. we had some pretty good snow and wind since early friday morning temps dropped to single digits F overnight with 40 plus mph winds got by with 1.5 loads of the polar, then saturday to sunday we dropped to -20F overnight, however sometime after 11pm the winds died down, I loaded her up sunday morning was about 3/4 of a load, then loaded up sunday night about 9pm again was about 3/4 of load I am even more happy with it now after hitting those temps. Todays high is supposed to stay below 0F then 17 below overnight again, stay warm all and keep burning.