boilers in schools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you have to remember NYS is a state which had thousands of schools heated by extreemely low cost, clean burning, anthracite coal, and as a feel-good-but-do-nothing-positive measure under pataki switched over thousands of anthracite boilers throughout the state to run on imported oil and natural gas and propane. Let the burning issues type nuts get ahold of this idea of woodburning in public schools and this idea is over before it began.

I didn't know that about the schools, berlin. I know it makes me sick every time I see that big plume of smoke over the local school. I presume they burn natural gas, which seems to be the fuel of choice around here.

Give a boiler to a school or govt. agency and they just might use it to burn money. We have a four county solid waste agency, they basically handle recyclables, yard waste, brush, wood etc. They have a central office near me and a facility in each neighboring county. The tub grinder and some of the equip. is moved to each facility as needed. Typically there is always a loader at each facility, ground wood chips are loaded free of charge. Compost is sold for $5 YD CU only at the central office. They pay $2.50+ per YD to have it hauled to the central office. I suggested leaving the compost at each yard for loading but collect the money at the central office. It seemed simple enough send the customer to the yard with a paid receipt, load him up and send him on his way an extra $2.50 per YD profit. All the employees thought it was a great idea. The BOSS wasn't too keen on the idea. Kickback $$$$$$ was only reason I could think of but who knows.

atlarge54 said:
We have a four county solid waste agency, they basically handle recyclables, yard waste, brush, wood etc. They have a central office near me and a facility in each neighboring county. The tub grinder and some of the equip. is moved to each facility as needed.

AtLarge, you mind if I ask you what the four counties are that collaborate on this, seems like a decent idea. One question though, what is the demand for the compost (or it sounds like more of a mulch product ?). I lived in a township where people said the mulch (that was made available every spring for free) had a tendency to attract termites. I had no idea if this was true, I'm assuming that it was just a rumor b/c I don't know how termites could infest a mound of mulch unless it was left to break down for a couple years in a field . . .

Thanks

churchie said:
atlarge54 said:
We have a four county solid waste agency, they basically handle recyclables, yard waste, brush, wood etc. They have a central office near me and a facility in each neighboring county. The tub grinder and some of the equip. is moved to each facility as needed.

AtLarge, you mind if I ask you what the four counties are that collaborate on this, seems like a decent idea. One question though, what is the demand for the compost (or it sounds like more of a mulch product ?). I lived in a township where people said the mulch (that was made available every spring for free) had a tendency to attract termites. I had no idea if this was true, I'm assuming that it was just a rumor b/c I don't know how termites could infest a mound of mulch unless it was left to break down for a couple years in a field . . .

Thanks
Steuben, Dekalb, Noble and Lagrange in NE Indiana. There are basically three products compost, regrind and chips. The compost is from grass, leaves and chips and for years was loaded free every fall. Now it is screened and sold for $5 Cu/yd throughout the year. Regrind is aged chips, lots of fiber and some dust it makes a really good mulch for trees and shrubs. Chips are just fresh ground wood. Chips and regrind are loaded and free spring through fall. They also accept hazardous household waste on a fee basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.