Bore Cut Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
Is there a "set" rule as to when to use a bore cut and when to use a straight back cut to fell a tree? :red:

Ralph said:
Is there a "set" rule as to when to use a bore cut and when to use a straight back cut to fell a tree? :red:

I'm no expert, but I only use a bore cut on a hard leaner to prevent a barber chair. I'm sure there are others and some more experienced members will chime in soon.

After cutting the front wedge, you generally use a bore cut on bigger trees to install wedges on either side of the trunk BEFORE making the rear cut. This is used primarily on trees that may have a negative lean or side lean and you want to make it fall away from it's natural tendency. YOU BETTER BE EXPERIENCED to do some of these techniques, as it can be VERY VERY dangerous. you need to know a lot of different variables (species, wind, is the crown heavier one side or the other, if the tree is hollow, rotted, etc) you can get killed doing a cut like this.

I've only ever used a simple notch cut, with a back side cut towards the notch.
1000+ trees successfully brought down over 40 years.
I've sometimes used the hinge piece to steer the fall, but I'm usually still cutting until the tree is committed to a direction.
If we're not 100% confident in the fall direction, we'll put a rope on it and pull it towards where we want it to go.
I've been on the pulling end of the rope for most of the cuts, with my dad on the cutting end. But recently he's not confident
on the cutting end, so he's been on the pulling end.
Yes, we make sure there is a clear and practiced path for the puller to get out of the way.
No, we've never had an injury.

I generally use a bore-cut whenever I can, versus using one only when I have to.

(edit: and my cords are 4x4x8, I split horizontal, I bush hog my fields (with a Bush Hog), I tried several JDs before buying my Kubota, ...)

All that aside, for me it comes down to control and personal comfort. I have a system that I am very comfortable with and provides me a great deal of control.

Flamestead said:
I generally use a bore-cut whenever I can, versus using one only when I have to.

(edit: and my cords are 4x4x8, I split horizontal, I bush hog my fields (with a Bush Hog), I tried several JDs before buying my Kubota, ...)

All that aside, for me it comes down to control and personal comfort. I have a system that I am very comfortable with and provides me a great deal of control.
I use them often too, esp. when it's a tree that I want precision control of. We also occasionally use a rope or cable for backup even if we don't need it. One thing about plunge or bore cutting; the more you do them, the better you get at them.

Thanks folks. Some good advice her as usual. I'm not quite ready to use the bore or plunge cut as yet. I'm just beginning to study it and I want to practice on a few stumps I left long just for practice purposes.Keep the replies and advice coming! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.