Bottom heat shield on Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

codapop

Nov 14, 2017
Maryland
We purchased a used Resolute Acclaim model 2490. It has been a nightmare. Please help me figure out what to do. It did not come with a bottom heat shield, but the manual says it needs a bottom heat shield unless it is on unpainted concrete over the earth. Otherwise it needs a mineral board/sheet metal floor covering with the bottom heat shield. I contacted someone at Vermont Castings and they said they do not write those manuals and he could see no reason for needing all that (as far as the wording of over earth). So I am perplexed. My husband wants to just use it without the heat shield but I am afraid to. I purchased one and it was the wrong heat shield and so now we are looking for an affordable one in stock. Do we need it? Is this stove hotter than most? We used to have a US Stove Magnolia woodstove and it didn't need all this! RIght now we have a piece of plywood covered with slate tile with a stove board over that (to elevate to the right height). We are placing it in front of our fireplace and using it with the rear flue option. So, basically I need to know if we need the bottom heat shield with our setup- 6 inch legs too btw...Anyone with experience with this stove? Thanks in advance.