bought a house... last owners left 2 stoves... help ID!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

highbody

Sep 9, 2010
North East CT
This is my first post here and looking for some advice, and looking at some of the topics and the rate of quick responses i came to the right place.

My girlfriend and I recently bought a house in North East ct. the house is about 1000sqf ranch with a semi finished basement that we are in the process of finishing.

the previous owners have left us with 2 wood stoves in the basement and 1 brand new chimney all piped in.

They both seem to be ok condition, with some surface rust on both of them and some of the parts are rusted open/shut im sure i could replace the parts and clean both of them up and make them operational again.

here are the two stoves in question:
first one is cast iron through out with fire brick inside lining it

this is the second:

the second of the 2 is the only one of them that has any markings on them at all...on the glass there is the word king with a crown over the top of it

what are these and what one do you believe is the better option to place in the basment to heat our house with? any ideas would help, sorry the pics are bad, they are cell phone pics in the basement with limited light

Attachments

• 0909001625.jpg
    0909001625.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 702
  • 0909001627.jpg
    0909001627.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 703
REALLY hard to see those pics. I had to copy them into a photo program just to see them! The top stove - I have NO idea - is that even a stove?! The bottom one looks pretty basic and pretty old. Might work, but I would check it over very carefully before I hooked it up! Wonder if they piped up the chimney for a newer stove that they took with them? You might want to consider scrapping those puppies and getting an inexpensive but safer (and more "green!") EPA rated new stove, there's still a 30% tax credit for the rest of the year!

Looks like two boat anchors. Take the tax credit on a new stove..paint them up and sell them on CL for $200-300 each, put that money towards a new stove and please, make an honest girl out of your lady friend and marry her! Post wedding pics here and PM me for my address for wedding invites.

again sorry for the pics, i have no idea what the 1st one is, almost like an incinerator or boiler,ive been thinking about it a bit and the two pipes coming out of the back near the exhaust dont vent the stove, it looks as if maybe a water source could be attached to those pipes, the pipe looks to be water tight, and if there is a small fire in the bottom it would be a nice way to get warm water, but thats only a guess,

there is only 1 opening to get wood inside and that is that top hole i pictured,

currently because of the house purchase we don't have too much extra money kicking around for a wood stove, we actually wanted to use one of these two for the season and then invest in a pellet stove, that we had our eyes on

id rather see what the scrap metal place will give me for the cast iron rather than spend time on cleaning them up and worry about ripping some one off, if anything ill put them on CL as they are so they don't feel im hiding anything

my g/f is very honest and loves me very much, she has 2 kids and because of her life growing up always moving around and no true friends, she didn't want the same for her kids.. so we bought in the quiet corner.

can you point me to a sub 500 stove i could use and you would recommend ? around me or on CL im willing to travel to RI/CT/MA for it my zip is 06282

I've downsized and lightened the images for you. Not sure what the first one is. Hard to tell with all the junk in and around it. Perhaps it is the guts of a cabinet stove? Most likely scrap stove now. The second one may be worth at least cleaning up and investigating. Look on the back for a UL label. If it has one, get a good shot of that. I am wondering if it is a King stove, bought by Martin?

Your best bet for a replacement stove would be to get a new one and take the tax credit. Cheapest good stove would probably be an Englander 13NC, but whether that is an appropriately sized stove for the house and area in the house is unknown. To determine that tell us more about the house and where the stove is going.

thank you begreen

the house is a modular ranch about 1000 sqf, the basement we are in the process of fixing up to make unto a living room
i made this quickly to give you an idea of the basement layout

62390090dcbbacba451c1021b758da494015306.jpg

i looked in the back and only noticed a missing ash can :(

but on the right hand side i found the plate you were talking about and it says :
king products division
model #: MI 1 or ML 1
serial #: 3885
heater #: P 30256
UL 1482 NBK RPT

Will the woodstove will only be heating part of the basement? That looks like a fairly small space. Will the walls be insulated?

we would like to be able to heat the house with the stove if we could..we eventually will be insulating the walls...but trying to get the wood stove in and heating the house before it gets too cold i guess is the main objective, as there is no heat in the basement, and electric heat in the house.

Heating the house is not going to be easy with the setup shown, especially with the wall being put up that will block off heat from the shop and stairs. I like tickbitty's suggestion for the stove.

the stairs i thought would be good to transfer heat upstairs, im not too worried about heating the back work shop and storage rooms as they will get enough from the open door, i believe the dogs will be warm enough as their crates are by the open door to the laundry room and they will be spending the time outside there crates with us.

so the stove that tickbitty suggested is a good stove? or just a stove that i should change out in a few years? i would really like to be able to get some heat upstairs, not to heat the house up stairs, just take the chill out of the air, and keep it around 65 upstairs ill be happy

OK, looks like I may be reading the stair entrance location wrong. If so, my bad. Are the bottom of the stairs in the living room location? If so, a good amount of heat will try to go up the stairs. How well it distributes upstairs will depend on how open it is up there.

The TVL17 is a new stove engineered by Corie, a hearth.com member and manufactured by Englander in Monroe, VA. We don't have a lot of field data on it yet, but the testing by Corie shows it to work very well. It has nice close clearances and a shallow profile which should work well in a smaller space. But there are lots of other stoves to chose from depending on your budget and personal preferences. I would look for about a 2 cu ft stove in the style that fits you best.

Englanders are amazing stoves for the price point, (with free shipping from that website and after the 2010 30% tax credit that EPA stove would only cost you $385!) and made in the good old USA. Great quality and customer service, (from everything I hear) they are "keeper" stoves. Plus if you get one Brother Bart will give you a virtual T-shirt! (stick with the forums a while, you will see one!)

Franks said:
Looks like two boat anchors. Take the tax credit on a new stove..paint them up and sell them on CL for $200-300 each, put that money towards a new stove and please, make an honest girl out of your lady friend and marry her! Post wedding pics here and PM me for my address for wedding invites.

:lol: What's your hourly rate for consultation?

No, those are not boat anchors... they're mooring anchors. ;)

for right now i think i may have to stick with just fixing up the king stove that we have.. how much do you think i could fix it up for?

only 385? is that the price i would pay or would i have to pay the full 550 and get the rebate later on? i would like to have the money to insulate the basement walls and finish it off before i get stuff really cranking on the stove end of it

sorry about the drawing, those stairs are in a open hallway, it looks like its part of the room, those stairs lead into our kitchen... ill make a drawing of the upstaris layout when i get home from work...

how should i place the stove in the basment? what direction, and what wall

More info needed on the King's condition. Pull it out, clean it up inside and out, then take some decently lighted pictures that show the interior and exterior and post them here. Also measure the diameter of the flue pipe to determine if it is 6 or 8". I'm speculating, but if it is in good condition it might get $200-300?

Yes, the Englander 50TVL17 stove at Overstockstoves is $549 before the tax credit. That includes delivery to the nearest freight terminal. Be sure to allow for the stove pipe costs too, it is expensive, probably more than the stove, but the tax credit applies to the whole installation.

I like where you have the stove if it works for the room layout. Ideally I would prefer the flue to go up in the interior of the house, but you need to make that call. If interior, maybe the L corner near the stairs?

the red part in my drawing is where the actual flue is, it is already piped and into the house, i just need to attach it to that pipe and the exhaust will be done

would i be able to put the stove where the red star is and still be able to pipe it out?

jaufs4.png

That CL stove looks like something from the old Hellraiser movies.

highbody said:
the red part in my drawing is where the actual flue is, it is already piped and into the house, i just need to attach it to that pipe and the exhaust will be done

would i be able to put the stove where the red star is and still be able to pipe it out?
I would locate the stove under the thimble and head right out if possible. It will be a cleaner looking and better functioning system.

Could you put the stove where the red star is? Suppose so. Will the piping still work? Maybe, but I am suspicious of it functioning well. 90 out of the stove into a long horizontal run, into another 90 outside, outside flue that is not too tall sounds like a visible mess and a poor drafting combo. Why have a pipe diagonally cutting off part of the room? You really want to keep the horizontal section as short as is reasonable and definitely not over 6'. If the ceiling is low, pipe clearances might also be an issue.

Has the outside flue been cleaned and inspected? You'll want to be sure it is properly done, in good condition and ready for the stove.

What about putting it in the corner where I have the star now and running a horizontal pipe out. We need the extra space instead of putting it in the middle of our living room.?
6252854-holder-ab7bf4df07fd7d5392e95330e8fae568.jpg

A corner install might work there. It would probably be best to come off the stove with a 45 to a diagonal up to a 90 and into the thimble. Not ideal, but maybe possible.

What's the currently installed flue on the outside of the house? I'm wondering about the pipe size and height of the exterior flue the stove is connecting to. That will give an indication of how it might draft. Pictures are always helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.