Bought a new 361 to go with my 260 (Picture)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBurner

Aug 4, 2008
SE CT
I bought a new 361, all I can say is Wow. I used it last weekend to cut up a big Ash 30"and some 16" oak and it performed great, It came with the safty chain and bar ANTI KICK BACK but still cut great, am thinking of buying an es bar and semi chisle chain although i do like the idea of anti kickback, am also thinking about the muffler Mod after warrantee is up. I got a great deal on the saw with 20 " bar, list is 609.00 but i had a 25 % coupon to a local hardware store, that they honored, Coupon had a lot of small print and I Think it excluded Stihl products, OOPS. I told my wife you really do need two saws, now I want a 460, where does it end

saws.jpg

Very nice, I also have a 361 with the 20" bar. It's a boss looking saw! I like that it's not ear-bleeding loud either.

Nice up to date selection of high end wood artillery there. I sure would like to try the new era saws to compare the difference. My old high end machines are still running so well that I cant justify a newer one. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the new purchase safely.
N of 60

I am still sitting on my 029. I guess if I had it to do over again and 1 saw it would be a 361, if it were 2 saws it would be a small limbing saw and a 046 or 044? Either way nice pair you got there.

The ms361 18 inch bar is my first pro saw, I've had some others saws but what a difference once I got the stihl, It seems to be the only saw I pick up now.

I have more saws, of all sizes, than I'll ever need in two lifetimes, and I'll be the first to admit the 361 is a very nice all around saw.

With that said, if I already had a 260, my second saw choice would not be a 361. These two saws are too close in size and power (IMO) for a two saw plan. I would have skipped the 361 and gone with the 460 for the second saw (actually, I would have picked up a 7900 instead as it's significantly lighter, cheaper, and more powerful). But now that you have the 260 and 361, you do have a valid 'need' for a larger saw to handle big wood (I'm sure the wife will love to hear this!) Owning the 260 and 361, I would now be tempted to skip the 460 and get a 660... Then again, if a large saw is something you'll only need every so often, picking up a cheaper used large saw might be your best bet. For instance, I have a good running Husky 2100 (100cc) with a 36" bar and like new chain on it, I'm selling it for $300. Something like this will easily handle anything you're going to find in CT. If you're interested, send me a PM as I'm not far from you.

BTW, nice looking place you have there. :)

CTBurner said:
now I want a 460, where does it end

088 or Husky equivalent and a 5 foot bar with a full skip chain.

Well after you get that then I guess you could move up to the tree harvesters. I've thought long and hard about a 361 and I think it's too close to my 310. I'm thinking I need a 066(or a 660). I think I could stay away from the 088 myself if I had the 066. I guess that when I move up to that then I'll start looking for the smallest limbing saw I can find. Your right... it doesn't ever end.

drdoct said:
CTBurner said:

Well after you get that then I guess you could move up to the tree harvesters. I've thought long and hard about a 361 and I think it's too close to my 310. I'm thinking I need a 066(or a 660). I think I could stay away from the 088 myself if I had the 066. I guess that when I move up to that then I'll start looking for the smallest limbing saw I can find. Your right... it doesn't ever end.

You're right, it doesn't end, resistance is futile! I have a 880 and a 3120xp and I looked into the tree harvesters, but I'm not sure where I'd put one at this point... :cheese: Honestly, there's very little on the east coast a 660 (or 395xp) won't handle. The 660 can be used all the time, but after lugging around a 880 for an hour, you know it! I do use the big dogs every so often, but it's very, very rare that I come across something the 660 (or even the 7900) wouldn't handle. With that said, not much beats running one of the modern 120cc saws (with a muffler mod) in some big wood. :)

I hope it all ends when i have 3 saws! (260 pro or "dolmar 5100" is next)

If you like the 361 now, wait till that baby gets broke in. It just gets better and better. I really like it with the 18" bar, but strap the 24" on it fairly frequently. It runs the 24" respectfully for my application (firewood).

I've got the 361 with a 20" and picked up a non-safety chain and it's unreal. I really does seem to cut like butter.

Gotta respect the beast, though. It's BY FAR the most powerful saw I've used or know anyone who has used. Because of that, I'm VERY careful.

Have lots of saws, as wet1 has said, things should stop when I bring out the big dog. Still looking for the 880. But the 361 will do 90% of my cutting. Very good saw and good choice.
Good luck with it.
Chad

drdoct said:
CTBurner said:

I dunno what it's like down there, but up here one sees decent condition 056s for sale on the $250-$400 range. They are monsters and will easily pull a 36" bar though Doug Fir.

Status
Not open for further replies.