Bought a new to me stove... didn’t realize it had no air control?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ericfx1984

Sep 29, 2018
Independence MO
I bought a new to me wood stove this morning. I was planning to install it as a third stove in the house, unfortunately I did not look it over very well, for some reason I missed the fact that it did not have an air control. Of course it has a damper like you would expect, but no air control

Vogelzang VG450ELGB Frontiersman

It does have a functioning blower, I am considering modifying it to have air intake controls but I’m wondering if it’s really a big deal.???

Or should I just simply see if I can find a buyer here locally,? Honestly I paid such a small amount for it that I’m willing to bet I could double my money

Last edited by a moderator:
Vogelzang VG450ELGB Frontiersman - get rid of it, check out the Englanders 17vl if you want a small stove, these vogrlzang's are thin gauge metal boxes made in china

Reactions: blacktail
Got lucky... found a big ole Cunningham... not in too bad of shape... needs the flue collar repaired but that’s easy(I’m pretty handy with a welder and a cutting torch)

But the guy through in 4 sections of 36” long class a 6” chimney, and a 1 foot section as well as a topper... not a bad deal for $150

Got lucky... found a big ole Cunningham... not in too bad of shape... needs the flue collar repaired but that’s easy(I’m pretty handy with a welder and a cutting torch)

But the guy through in 4 sections of 36” long class a 6” chimney, and a 1 foot section as well as a topper... not a bad deal for $150
this one? http://amishcookstoves.com/cunningham.shtml

It’s close... almost identical but the top is a little different... other than that it looks the same
I have worked on a few of them. They are built from pretty thin metal and dont hold up long. They also dont burn very clean at all.